Wal Mart deep cycle battery warranty FYI

fishrdan

Admiral
Wal Mart no longer has a warranty on their deep cycle batteries....

I had 2 of their Maxx G29 deep cycle batteries loaded in the shopping cart and noticed there was nothing stating the warranty, written on the battery :confused: I asked the person in tire/lube what the warranty was and they replied,,, there is no warranty. I thought they didn't know what I was asking for a second, but they went on to say there was a policy change for the deep cycle batteries. I unloaded the batteries and walked over to Sams Club who had G29 deep cycle batteries for the same price with a 1/3 year warranty.

I only remember having 1 deep cycle battery die in the warranty period, but it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling if Wal-Mart won't warranty deep cycle batteries anymore. I guess they are tired of warrantying batteries that are left dead for months on end, and then expected to hold a charge when they were neglected.

Has anyone else heard of Wal Mart dropping the warranty on their deep cycle batteries?

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wal Mart deep cycle battery FYI

Re: Wal Mart deep cycle battery FYI

First I've heard of it, but there's lots of competition so go where the the warranty is. Looks like you found it at Sams.

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wal Mart deep cycle battery warranty FYI

I just bought a deep cycle battery from Wal Mart about a week ago. The sales lady made sure she gave me the receipt and the register stub for batteries and removed the date sticker spots on the battery. She assured me that if I had problems I could bring it back and it would be replaced. I worked for our local Super Wal Mart for a short period while waiting on another job. While working there I saw first hand some of the worst management and retail practices in the selling arena. Lazy employees that don't want to expend the effort will often tell outright lies to avoid going the extra mile for the customer. I worked mainly in the hardware dept. I once observed a 2 year employee in the electronics dept. across the isle tell a customer that they were sold out of a particular brand of television just so he wouldn't have to deal with it. I also helped stock and in the receiving dept. and I knew we had just gotten a rather large shipment of these TV's. Upon checking I found we had at least 25 or so in stock. Another Wally problem is that a lot of times employees cover for others in a certain dept. If your buddy Joe is taking over for you in hardware while you go on break, it's good for you but terrible for a customer that wants a custom paint mixed. Joe works in automotive and doesn't understand the paint mixing equipment, data, etc. Finding me takes time, calling a manager takes time plus possibly having them irate, so Joe just gives you a line about being out of a certain tint or additive and sends you on your way. Most of the time hoping and praying you don't take you case to higher level of management. If I have a prob at wally anymore I never go to a dept employee. I go to customer service and take my prob up with a manager and they summon the right person to take care of the prob. Sorry I got long winded but it may help save someone a lot of trouble in the future. On the original topic, if you buy a battery be sure to get all the documentation and keep it. If it goes south just take it back and Wal Mart will generally replace it.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a marine dual purpose battery last fall at walmart and it does not have a warranty with it. I noticed that a lot of the marine batteries didn't have a warranty anymore.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I have not needed to use a warranty for my Everstart marine batteries, so that gives me confidence. However, I am concerned that when I buy new ones for the boat this year that they are not warranteed.... I will check this out.

At the same time I guess I would understand... After being on iboats for a year and seeing some of the posts about batts, and seeing what other people do to their batteries, I can see why so many batteries "die." I am about to start my third season on my gr29 Deep Cycle; I haven't done much other than charge it properly- still good. My Marine starting battery- also Walmart- was bought in...2005? Can't remember. But it will last pretty good as a backup for my deep cycle trolling battery when I drain it.

I can't complain about walmart batteries, but I still want a warranty.

pinballdan

Cadet

Yes walmart no longer has the 18 month replacement on there marine battery's.
It ended at the first of the year . I was lucky to be able to get 2 that were still under the 18 month free replacement that were made dec 09 . So I'm good for 18 months !!!!!!:D:D:D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmmm. Isn't Sam's Club in the same family as Wal Mart??

skargo

Banned

Pretty sure they are. I use the Everstart Maxx in many of my vehicles, I hope they don't decide to do that with their entire battery line.
Although, I've never had an issue with them.

gss036

Commander

I think the problems w/marine batteries warranty is the fact as you cheapen the construction, the plates get thinner and will not stand up to the slamming of boat use on choppy waters.
Go to COSTCO and you won't have a problem.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use nothing but Interstate Batteries , they always make good on their products.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Wally world has zero warranty on their marine starting batteries also....

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes Wal Mart and Sams are one and the same. Their merchandise comes from the same places and the same distributors. Sams is a wholesale club that deals in bulk merchandise. Wal Mart is exactly the same stuff just in smaller quantities. When Sam Sr. and Sam Jr. were running things they were a stand up company. Since their departure though it seems that they have gone down hill. Their logo while Sam Sr. was still alive was " We buy American so you can too". Since Sam Jr. has passed on the next generation has gone to China! I do business with Wal Mart basically because of financial reasons. As stated in my earlier post Wal Mart has some very slothful practices. If Mr. Sam was still alive you would not see this. I may stand corrected on my earlier post of saying Wal Mart would exchange a bad batt. I only know what I was told when I bought mine. Not to draw out a long post but... I know that Wal Mart batteries are usually purchased through Johnson Controls(based out of Houston TX). They are one of the country's largest battery Re-Manufactures. My brother worked for Johnson Controls here in Cuba MO. He told me their batteries were A #1 quality. I have had several and have had no probs so I never questioned this. I sincerely hope no one thinks that I am in any way defending or upholding Wal Mart. I shop there occasionally because in my small area I am limited. I worked for them for the same reason. If they have ceased to stand behind a product they sell then they have definitely lost me as a customer. I will gladly pay the extra $$$ to have a good, if possible American made product. God Bless All. Dave