Serial number Confusion

TopGunn

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys I have what I believe to be a 1980 Black max 150 but im having a hard time with the serial number that's on the mount plate. The number on the plate is A8055413.

Ive looked at all the guides and cant seem to find anything in that area starting with an A or followed by an 8. Can someone help me out here? Im not sure if this is a 150 or a 175 it is a V6 no oil injection... Is there a place on the block that shows the serial number as well?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Serial number Confusion

If it's the original power head, there should be a serial number on the welch plug on the top of the block.

If you put the serial number into the database at mercury parts express, it should take you to the exact model it is.

hope it helps
john

TopGunn

Seaman Apprentice

I tried it with no luck i know its a 150 the original owner said it was a 1980 the number on the block matches that on the mount. IDK im just going to call it a 1980 150 black max LOL I know I put her on and she fired right up pee's nice and good and doesnt skip a beat!

Taking her out Wed. for the maiden voyage of the year!

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

serial number is wrong unless your looking at a very small motor ( 2.2 hp)

Dukedog

Captain

Serial number should only have six numbers following tha A. Tha only V6 serial numbers listed in Midas with seven digits are from '76 ta '84 and do not have a letter in 'em. Did it have oil injection that has been removed or is there not even a place for tha oil pump on tha front half? Three ram tilt n trim or single with pump in tha boat?

TopGunn

Seaman Apprentice

Serial number should only have six numbers following tha A. Tha only V6 serial numbers listed in Midas with seven digits are from '76 ta '84 and do not have a letter in 'em. Did it have oil injection that has been removed or is there not even a place for tha oil pump on tha front half? Three ram tilt n trim or single with pump in tha boat?

No oil injection at all,i ts got the pump in the boat with 2 rams on the plate. Im going to take some pictures and see if you guys can figure this out the numbers on the top of the block match the plate number but it says 805413 so its missing a 5 in there and its replaced by a number or a symbol of some sort. Here are some pics I got with my phone. Also hood I got with it is a blue banded hood off a 175 of the same year. The guy i bought this 150 from said his boat was only rated to 150 and I swapped hoods with him because mines rated for 175. Heres the pics....

Thanks guys

Attachments

• photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo(5).jpg
    photo(5).jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 0

Dunaruna

Admiral

I believe that that is an Australian build, in which case you can discount the 'A'.

Hopefully Achris will come along and confirm or deny my theory.

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

theres something fishy about that serial number - why is it not straight ?