Mercruiser 4.3V6 2005 Greasing

dalton565

Seaman
Hey guys

this year i have been servicing the engine myself in an effort to save a few bob. So ive done all oils and filters.

Now im down the last job of greasing the moving parts. problem is my manual is quite old and it shows greasing round sterring cables, my engine looks different to the disgrams and i can see the remains of any grease from last year.

So far i have just greased the prop shaft. Where else do i need to grease ? Im using the 2-4-C quicksilver stuff

thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 4.3V6 2005 Greasing

Ayuh,.. I don't get to play with such New stuff,+ they've been shedding grease fittings for years...
Just keep Looking...
I know there should be 1 on the coupler, inside the boat,... Maybe another on the steering...
Most have been eliminated,+ gone to sealed bearings..

achris

More fish than mountain goat

There is a grease nipple on the starboard side of the gimbal housing, for greasing the gimbal bearing, a grease nipple on the coupler, as Mr Bond-o pointed out, and the prop shaft.... Also a small dab of grease on the throttle and shift cables and their hinge and pivot points. That's it!

One thing I like to do it to remove each nut and/or bolt from the leg, on at a time and grease them and put them back in... Bit of work now, but you'll thank me in a few years. :D There are 4 bolts on the top. There are 4 bolt and nuts holding the top and lower housings together. There are 2 screws in the end of each trim ram holding the anodes on. There are 2 bolts holding the anode on the bottom of the gimbal housing and 2 bolts holding the anode on the top of the cav plate at the front of the leg. There are also 2 screws holding each trim sender on the gimbal ring. There is a single bolt holding the anodic plate on under the trailing edge of the cav plate. Have I missed any?

Chris......

dalton565

Seaman

hi, had a look yesterday but still couldnt find the grease nipples your talking about.

Do you a a diagram or anything showing where they are. Also do i trim or down to locate

Image of my outdrive

http://www.hiddenmillmarinecenter.com/MX 18 Outdrive.JPG

EDIT: Changed picture to link. Picture WAY too big, resize to 640 x 480

Last edited by a moderator:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... 1st off,... Resize your picture to 480x640, or delete it...It's Way too Big...

2ndly,... The gimbel bearing zert is clearly visable on the starboard side of the transom shield(about 1/2" from the hull),+ the rest are Inside the boat...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

attachment.php

[size=+2]And now that's a thing of the past with PERMALUBE Gimbal bearings. :D:D:D:D[/size]

Attachments

• Zerk (600 x 450).jpg
    Zerk (600 x 450).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you a a diagram or anything showing where they are.

If you take a look up in the Adults Only sticky, you will find a link to the OEM service manuals for your engine and drive. With drawing and details for all the maintenance.