Florida's invasive species problem

gonefishie

Commander
I watched this program on the animal planet channel and it was very interesting and disturbing at the same time. You have to wonder when peoples are going to learn.

Expidia

Commander
Re: Florida's invasive species problem

I think you forgot some info. Maybe the link!

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

I watched this program on the animal planet channel and it was very interesting and disturbing at the same time. You have to wonder when peoples are going to learn.

I saw on a news channel that "Open Season" was declared for anacondas in the Everglades.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

thats the problem,people just wont learn.
like watching the incredible race show tonight, the scene was a WWI french and german battle line in france.
recreated french trench and all.
8 out of 8 contestants said it was just like WWII or made references to Nazi germany.
neither existed prior to 1918.
and these were american grownup with a supposed HS education.
another example can be seen of invasive species in the black plague at the begining of europes dark ages.
had the milfoil issue in my area in the 70s and now the zebra mussels are coming.
cant wait for the pirhana to show up in south FL.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

well at least they are tasty and easy to catch.
nothing like fishing for blue gills with a chunk of meat and a stainless leader.
just watch out for them choppers.
its like a set of wind up dentures when they are out of the water.
but dang fun to catch :).
heard a rumour today that a commercial netter caught a snakehead in kitty hawk bay.
I hope it was just a rumour.

TilliamWe

Banned

I saw on a news channel that "Open Season" was declared for anacondas in the Everglades.

I wasn't aware there were Anacondas in the Glades? I thought it was just Pythons?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know allot about this as I do breed pythons as a hobby . Not the big ones but the Ball Python , the small black and gold ones you see in many pet shops. Yes there are Anacondas and Pythons in the everglades but it is "blamed" on people who turn "pets" loose once they get to big . I am sure this has happened allot but the major cause was Hurricane Andrew . It destroyed several importing companies that had tens of thousands of baby snakes. Many of these survived and took up residence in the everglades. To a degree they are self policing as to population . Very few young make it the first year in the wild .
While these snakes are very dangerous when cornered they are not poisonous and will only get aggressive when cornered or looking for food . Not a good idea to get near one with a small child or small pet they will react by instinct. They are probably here to stay , no way to kill the entire population without killing many other species in the everglades . Even then just a few survivors would repopulate in 5 years or so . Time to find a way to coexist with them .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the glades are getting run over by many tropical species. snakes and lizards.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Having a dog or a cat or even a bird for a pet is one thing, even though it is a responsibility that some folks can never quite fathom, those are the very same folks that opt to have Reptiles, Cockroachs, Rodents, and various vermin as pets.
My answer to this problem is to exterminate the idiots and put the creatures back into their respective environments.
This situation has gotten out of control, it is time for the legisators and policing authorities to take some drastic action. :mad:

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

I was very surprised to see African Cichlids living "naturally" in many of the rivers near everglades. Large groups of them have now taken up residence.

gonefishie

Commander

They didn't even talked about fish because that would be a whole other special. There snakeheads, piranha, pacu, cichlids, peacock bass just to name a few. At least with the fishes they're confined to the Miami area because of the year round warm water. Nile monitor lizards, Nambian pouch rats (which is the size of a cat) aren't as confined. They cut open the stomach of a python and found two endangered Key Largo woodrats that are estimated to have about 200 still living in the wild. The feral hogs are getting into residential areas and attacking peoples. The frozen corn belt sounds more appealing everyday. What's interesting is that while snakehead is strictly prohibited nationwide but Burmese Python is not except a few places such as New York where they can't survive in the wild.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

My back yard borders on a small man-made lake, about three years ago the HOA tried introducing some of the native species but they never stood a chance, those Peacock Bass are voracious, though lots of fun on a 5wt flyrod they are, i have not experienced any pirannahs around here but i've heard that in a few neighborhood lakes and canals that some folks have.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The peacock bass was deliberately introduced in S. Fla to feed on Oscars and tilapia and other non-native invasive fish.