impeller debris in the outdrive

ktmrider

Seaman
I was dumb enough to run the engine outside of the water so the impeller was toast. I just replaced the impeller but I've found the old impeller debris around the outdrive where water comes in.

How do I remove the debris?

I am thinking of remove the impleller again and just run the water with the muffs installed. I am hoping the water flow will force the small debris toward the impeller and out.

Would this work?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: impeller debris in the outdrive

Howdy,

It probably won't.

It would help if you post the make, model and serial number.

ktmrider

Seaman

2000 Crownline with 5.0 GL and SX outdrive (Volvo Penta).

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/V...L-A-B-C-D-E/COOLING SYSTEM/Sea Water Pump.pdf

I have a feeling the impeller debris are also at thermostat. I don't think the debris can pass the t-stat.

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/V...NG SYSTEM/Sea Water Pump and Hoses Early.pdf

The two hoses...are they both exit holes?

I was able to remove some impeller debris from the outdrive but not all of it. I can see them but it's hard to pull them out with a long nose plier.

Any help is much appreciated.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If that oil cooler is on the discharge side of the sea water pump, it should stop the fragments from going any further.....they wouldn't make it to the t-stat then.....

That's what happened to my bravo....all the fragments of a previous impeller failure were literally STUFFED in the input side of the oil cooler.

It does seem strange that you would have impeller fragments in the drive though.....

Hello,

The same thing happened to me. I had just purchased my boat and the first time I took it out, it overheated. I replaced the impeller, but it overheated again. I ended up pulling the lower unit from the outdrive, disconnected the intake hose on the engine. I snaked a wire up through the outdrive and dug a lot of impeller pieces out. Then I connected a garden hose to the intake hose and back-flushed the system.. amazingly a lot more of the impeller pieces came out!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

but I've found the old impeller debris around the outdrive where water comes in.

I'm a little confused as to how you get impeller fragments in the outdrive.

Your raw water pump is bolted to the engine isn't it? Your water pickup is in the drive so water going into the drive comes from the lake and is sucked into the pump.

How do the fragments get back to the drive?

ktmrider

Seaman

I have no idea how those fragments got into the outdrive. :D
It took me an hour using tweezers and remote control toy tools to remove about 20 small pieces of rubber debris from both side of the inlet holes. Basically, really small and long needle-nose pliers.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well,

I believe you may have something else going there......Like maybe the raw water pump hoses hooked up "backwards".

The pump destroyed itself quickly and pumped the pieces TO the drive instead of sucking them FROM the drive!

You should probably have a look at the direction the engine turns (and subsequently which way pump turns ) and ENSURE that you have the hoses connected correctly!

Someone connected those hoses backwards I suspect.....

ktmrider

Seaman

Okay, so I was able to remove all of the debris that I saw that was inside the inlet holes.
I hooked up the muffs and ran the motor this morning and saw water coming out of the idle relief ports....

So everything good?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I would say "everything good" if you didn't find ANY debris in the T-stat housing....

If your PS cooler comes after the raw water pump (and it's the type with tiny little tubes/holes that would prevent the debris from going further) and you ensured it and the hoses leading to it was clear I'd say, you're "Good"! :D

Cheers,

Rick