How to bottom paint aluminum ??????

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice
I have looked thru older posts and most people seem to be bottom painting trailered boats. On 1984 18ft Starcraft Mariner I am going to use gluvit over rivets on external part of hull bottom for additional sealing. Do I zinc chromate over the gluvit and the rest of the hull bottom and then put anti fouling ablative bottom paint on over that? I am looking at keeping boat in Delaware (fresh water) river. any suggestions/help is appreciated!!!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: How to bottom paint aluminum ??????

Only need to use zinc chromate on the bare aluminum spots. The gluvit will have to be scuffed up and be sure to use a paint that is compatible and will stick to epoxy. Zinc chromate will do nothing for the gluvit.

If you intend on keeping the boat in the water for the season...... I will suggest you plan on cleaning it on occasion..... if you wait until the end of the season the job is 10x harder!

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

is the zinc chromate considered epoxy? Do I glovit the rivets and paint zinc on the bare aluminum? What kind of bottom paint would you suggest? I want to do it right the first time and am unsure exactly how to approach. When you say the zinc will do nothing for the gluvit. what do you mean? Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Zinc chromate creates a chemical bond with aluminum and will not create that bond with gluvit. You can actually use an automotive primer (I am fond of the epoxy primer's) and then paint over that with just about any paint.

wlmiller

Recruit

ok, on my Bass tracker i need to use zinc chromate to etch the bottom, what is the best paint to use? i dont have a spray so i would like to roll or brush on, any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

sprintst

Commander

Zinc chromate creates a chemical bond with aluminum and will not create that bond with gluvit. You can actually use an automotive primer (I am fond of the epoxy primer's) and then paint over that with just about any paint.

I like the epoxy primers as well. Just one more crazy barrier to resist the water.

I used the Interlux stuff of mine... Interlux vinyl zinc chromate to bite into the alum, Interprotect 2000E epoxy primer and VC performance epoxy paint. I used the VC performance epoxy for the added teflon to help slip onto the bunks and the stuff is tough as it will be a trailered boat. I also didn't need the anti-fouling as it's a freshwater boat.

It wasn't the cheapest way to go but I'm hoping to not have to do this again for a long while.