minn kota go switch bad???

bigwave

Cadet
I have a 2 year old bow mount minn kota 80lb thrust motor with the following problem...

I step on the spin the prop button on the foot pedal but sometimes the prop doesn't spin!

1. The red arrow directional light always comes on when I step on the spin the prop button
2. I can get the prop to spin by stepping on the spin the prop button like 50 more times. Once out of 50 tries it usually will work.
3. A better method to get the prop to spin is to step on the pedal up and down to rotate the trolling motor shaft right and left and then retry the spin the prop button
4. When I toggle the on or continuous on button to either setting, sometimes the prop spins and sometime not. (when the switch is set on spin constantly sometimes the prop doesn't spin)

Any idea how to trouble shoot this frustrating intermitent issue???

It just rained recently. Could it just be a "wet" switch???

Batteries are charged and terminal connections are good.

Thanks in advance
Brent

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: minn kota go switch bad???

Step #1: Don't leave the foot pedal in the rain. Stow it when not in use.
Step #2: The switches are not the problem. There is a loose connection inside the foot control that is sensitive to movement of the motor right-left action. Chances are the power cable is bad where it enters the foot control. If this is an older motor the movement of the foot control has broken the power wires.

bigwave

Cadet

Thanks a lot silver tip.

You mention power cables. However, everytime I step on the go button the red directional indicator lights up. To me this indicates power is getting into the foot peddle, and between the go button and the red directional light....but perhaps between the go button and the spin the prop wiring is faulty???

Is myassumption dumb? What do you think?

The motor is only 2 years old- not too old.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Think about it. there is more than one function from the foot pedal. Motor, left turn, right turn, continuous run/momentary run. The light is just one function so just because it lights does not mean the other functions are getting power and obviously they are not. Break out the testlight or voltmeter and follow the juice. When you lose it you found the problem.

CrappieLimit

Cadet

One other possibility is the motor is set to run too slow and the amature won't turn over. I had a Minn Kota powerdrive that the lowest two setting would not work in start. But if I kicked it up to a higher speed and backed it down the lower speeds would work.
I just replaced it with an i-Pilot Powerdrive.:)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If that's the case then there is a whole 'nuther bunch of issues to look at. Tight bearings, fishline wrapped between the prop and motor housing. Water in the motor causing rust. If you that's the process you need to go through to get the motor to run, then the motor is drawing way too much current on low settings. Stalled rotor is a high current scenario. Don't think that is what the poster is saying the problem is.