Bottom paint removal

Keith7481

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi folks,
I've just picked up my boat and already thinking about getting rid of the bottom paint. Since I'll be keeping it on the trailer, I think the appearance will be nicer without it. So, I've been looking through this forum and have found many good suggestions for paint remover and also realize that, based on the bottom condition, I may need to repaint with something like VC performance epoxy or perhaps even replace the gelcoat. Before I get to that part, I'll need to get the old paint off, will probably use a stripper and power washer. So, with the boat on a trailer, is this removal process feasible on my own. Will I need to rent or buy stands, or do people do one section, take the boat off the trailer and put it back on with slight repositioning to get at the parts that were under the bunks or what???
Keith

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 0

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bottom paint removal

You are going to have to take her off the trailer. If the bottom paint was put on properly you'll be sanding it off with an orbital sander. Good luck with this.

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just tried to sand mine, had goggles and face mask. Only did a little of the bottom and my eyes started burning and than It started hurting when I took a deep breath. You really don't want to do it. Soda blast it.

Keith7481

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What about the use of strippers instead of sanding; from a previous post

After getting some quotes for sanding and blasting, $$$ I decided I would take a shot at paint remover. I decided to give Circa 1850 Soft strip a try. http://www.swingpaints.com/1820.htm It contains no methylene chloride or MEK, and is environmentally friendly. I tested a small area first, to make sure it had no effect on the gelcoat itself.

The after pics from this post look pretty good. Benefits of sanding as opposed to the chemical stripper? I was expecting that sanding is also more likely to take off the gelcoat? Now the bigger issue, how do you get the boat off the trailer, do you rent space at a marine repair place and have them take it off and block it up??

Keith

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Soda blast won't touch it if it has been applied the way it should. Assuming it has the hull would have been sanded with 80 grit and epoxy primer applied. Nothing will remove this but good ol' sanding. If you are lucky enough that the prep was not done properly then chemical removal or soda blasting is an option.

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now reading that you have tried to strip it with stripper and are getting a good result (lucky) you can clean it up much easier.
If you haven't removed a boat from a trailer before I'd recommend you get an experienced person to do it.

Keith7481

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now reading that you have tried to strip it with stripper and are getting a good result (lucky) you can clean it up much easier.
If you haven't removed a boat from a trailer before I'd recommend you get an experienced person to do it.

Actually, that was a quote from a previous post, not by me. I haven't even begun the project yet. Just wanted to get some opinions on best way to remove the bottom paint, stripping vs. blasting or sanding. From what I've read so far, the decision may be based on how well the old paint was applied, will look at that tonight when I get home. Any other thoughts on the topic?

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually, that was a quote from a previous post, not by me. I haven't even begun the project yet. Just wanted to get some opinions on best way to remove the bottom paint, stripping vs. blasting or sanding. From what I've read so far, the decision may be based on how well the old paint was applied, will look at that tonight when I get home. Any other thoughts on the topic?

If you can provide some good photos of the hull in area's that maybe there's spots of bottom paint missing I may be able to tell from the photo. A good indication is if you see gel where there's bottom paint missing it was not likley prepped right. If it was the bottom paint normally wouldn't flake off.

Keith7481

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you can provide some good photos of the hull in area's that maybe there's spots of bottom paint missing I may be able to tell from the photo. A good indication is if you see gel where there's bottom paint missing it was not likley prepped right. If it was the bottom paint normally wouldn't flake off.

Ok, I'll take some close ups when I get the boat back, its in the marina yard, getting detailed and prepped for summer. From what I could see, I didn't see any places where the bottom paint had come off. I attached the best photo I currently have. Paint is still looking pretty strong, but hard to see without a close up, probably have her back in the next 2-3 weeks. If the paint wasn't done right, is it likely to smear when rubbed by hand?

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 0

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the paint wasn't done right, is it likely to smear when rubbed by hand?

Not at all. If it comes off onto your hand it means it is ablative bottom paint. Non-ablative bottom paint will not come off.

Keith7481

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not at all. If it comes off onto your hand it means it is ablative bottom paint. Non-ablative bottom paint will not come off.

Ok, so the non-ablative paint will not come off if applied properly, but the ablative bottom paint will come off regardless of whether or not it was put on correctly? If thats correct, does that mean the ablative bottom paint would be easier to remove with a stripper as opposed to sanding or soda blasting? Is the ablative paint the same as what is refered to as sacrificial paint?