Which of these 2 LUs would you bid on for a '72 'rude 65HP motor?

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a 1972 Evinrude Triumph 65HP. Looking at 2 lower units on ebay. In another post where I asked about a different LU, rayodunne said this LU on ebay would work for my motor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0541528118&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Not that I don't believe rayodunne (and thanks for pointing it out ray!), but I'd like to get a 2nd opinion-- will a LU from a 50HP work on my motor with no issues? It looks like it's in great shape. This one's the front-runner assuming it works on my motor, and this bid expires first.

Here's another one I'm looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0593923948&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT
It's from a 65HP so I know it will fit my motor. And it's in my city, so I could pick it up and save shipping. No reserve, so I might be able to get it cheap. Plus it would be nice to have an extra prop. But it looks pretty beat up.

Which would you guys bid on?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Which of these 2 LUs would you bid on for a '72 'rude 65HP motor?

OK the parts #'s do not cross for the 71 50hp,
the other problem is they did not make a 65 HP in 1971. also parts # for a 71 60 does not cross.

so there is some confusion in the data you have.

they may bolt up, but will not be the perfect match, atleast different gear ratios.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK the parts #'s do not cross for the 71 50hp,
the other problem is they did not make a 65 HP in 1971. also parts # for a 71 60 does not cross.

so there is some confusion in the data you have.

they may bolt up, but will not be the perfect match, atleast different gear ratios.

thanks TD! What about the second LU-- it's a '70, so 2 years earlier than mine, but same HP. That one would fit & be same gear ratio, wouldn't it?

Waitaminit--that second LU is supposedly a '70 from a 65HP, and my motor is a '72 65HP-- if they did not make a 65 HP in 1971 did they skip a year, or is the info on the '70 LU wrong?? :confused:

tashasdaddy

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, thanks again TD.

So is there any way to tell the year and HP of a LU by examining it? That one in the second link, he's right in my neighborhood so I'm hoping I can get a look at it before the bidding ends.

tashasdaddy

make sure the spines on the drive shaft matches up, also make sure the solenoids work. they are not available.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

make sure the spines on the drive shaft matches up, also make sure the solenoids work. they are not available.

OK, much obliged TD.