1972 Evinrude 50hp - Repair decision

I posted a few days ago about my 1972 evinrude 50hp and I asked whether it was worth fixing or not. It turns and everything, just wont start. It ran a year or two ago, nothing catastrophic happened to render it non-operational. It just sat and now wont run. I've checked out the motor some more and here's what I've got:

Compression on the powerhead was within specs, same with the parts motor.
Fuel pump was disassembled and it was pretty shot
Carbs will definately need rebuild
wiring harness from controls to engine is in good shape
engine wiring harness needs replacement, but I have a spare
coils look blown
tested shift solenoids with multimeter, everything seems good
stator and timing base seem fine, tested with multimeter
lower unit will definitely need new seals

So, from what I can tell, I'll need to rebuild carbs, buy coils and lower unit gaskets. Also need new fuel pump and fuel lines. Controls are frozen, but I am probably just going to replace it with an aftermarket unit and make my own electronic shift control. I'm pretty good with electronics and have already drawn up the schematics.

Taking all this into consideration, would you say its worth it? Is there anything else I should know or check for on this particular engine?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: 1972 Evinrude 50hp - Repair decision

Aside from the shift switch being bad, there really isnt anything in the control box that you shouldn't be able to fix. You might have to cut through some old, dried grease with some solvent, but that's not that bad of a job.

I would take it apart and immediately test the shift switch with a multimeter. If it is good, just clean the rest of the control up, lubricate and reassemble. That's a much better deal that trying to set up your own switch system.

Bear in mind, also, that if its the throttle lever that is "frozen," the problem might be the cable, not the control.

If the switch is bad, try buying another control unit on EBay. You can also try Sea-Way in Seattle (www.sea-way.com) for a new switch, but it will probably be pricey. According to shop.evinrude.com, they are still available and when the ietem is a hard to find one like this, Sea-Way is usually the warehouse that has them.

BRP is getting absolutely ridiculous with prices on fuel pumps (yours is close to $100), but you can get rebuild kits. You might also price a Sierra pump, right here at iboats. You can also buy coils at iboats. While you shopping for those items, ask about Sierra carb rebuild kits - I have no idea if they make one for you motor, but the iboats sales people will be able to tell you.

As I said in your last thread, if you are trying to have a usable motor for a couple of hundred dollars, I don't think you will be successful. That said, if this motor is mechanically sound and the shift sytem is OK, I'd probably put some money into it. I did that with my '72 Johnson 65hp motor five years ago and have never regretted it.

???

Re: 1972 Evinrude 50hp - Repair decision

Alright. I am realizing now that it would be better to just drop a couple of grand on a good used motor. Wanted a bigger one anyway. I'm parting out the two engines on ebay now. Hopefully get enough cash to help buy another engine.

Thanks everyone for your advice!