Hwsiii,could I get your input please?

deester

Cadet
hwsiii, I actually posted this same information earlier under a different title and received some help from some great guys, EZEKE and especially Trendsetter240. I hope they won't take offense if I put this by you as well as I have noticed that everyone seems to come to you as the foremost expert on these questions. I have also updated some of the information that was previously incorrect on the form. Any knowledge you could share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, D

Iboats Boat and Motor Info

1. Year, make and model of boat

2001 MCKEE CRAFT BACKWATER 172

2. Length, width and base weight of boat, look for boat decal on back of boat

17'2" 80" 1250LBS

2a.What is the maximum recommended HP for your boat

115 MAX HP

3. Number of people and gallons of gas normally on boat

2 ADULTS 25 GALLONS GAS

4. What do you use the boat for

CRUISING--FISHING

5. Is it a Deep Vee and if so how many degrees of Deadrise

VEE HULL---16.957 DEADRISE

6. Year, manufacturer and model of motor

2001 JOHNSON 90HP OCEAN PRO--J90VLSIF

7. HP and gear ratio of outdrive IMPORTANT
If you don?t know the gear ratio, you need to pull the plugs out of the motor and put a piece of tape across the prop and the lower unit and then cut it between the prop and the housing then do the same thing on the flywheel and turn the motor until the tape lines up with each other on the prop, it is easier if two people do this, so one can watch the prop while the other counts the revolutions of the motor

90HP--13:26 (I BELIEVE THIS IS 2.1 RATIO)

8. Manufacturer?s recommended Wide Open Throttle (WOT) range

4500 - 5500

9. Anti-ventilation Plate height above the bottom of the transom of boat if it is an outboard in inches, use a straight edge or a board under the keel and sticking out to the anti ventilation plate for a reference, and take about 4 pictures for us to see.

2 3/4" ABOVE THE KEEL.

Is it a bass boat or does it have a pad bottom and is it on a bracket, if so how far does the bracket extend from the stern.

NO---NONE OF THE ABOVE

11. Does it have a hydrafoil, dolefin, whale tail or trim tabs and is the motor on a bracket, and if so how far back from the stern is the bracket

NO---NONE OF THE ABOVE

12. Manufacturer, model, diameter, pitch, number of blades and whether SS or aluminum props.
IMPORTANT

1.MAKE: STILETTO- MODEL: ADVANTAGE I,- 13 1/4X17,- 3 BLADES,- STAINLESS STEEL

13. WOT RPM and speed from your current prop and how much gas and how many people were in the boat for the test data and is the speed by GPS. Make sure you trim the prop up until it starts ventilating and then just trim in until it quits ventilating. If you do not have a tach you can buy a Tiny Tach for less than $ 50
RPM 5100-- Speed (GPS) 42 MPH--No. of people 2 ADULTS Gal. Gas 20 GALS

14. Are you at sea level or a higher elevation, give us the elevation in feet SEA LEVEL

15. Has your motor been tuned up lately and have you checked that the carburetor butterfly is opening all the way by only using the control on the console, checked compression, looked at the plugs and checked spark, is the bottom of the boat clean and barnacle free, and have you checked the Tachometer against a mechanics tach, all of the foregoing could be the reason your prop is not attaining full RPM.

BOAT TUNED UP AT THE END OF SUMMER--BOTTOM VERY CLEAN---NO TO CHECKING AGAINST MECHANICS TACH BUT I USED THE TACH THAT CAME ON BOAT AND A BRAND NEW FARIA TACH AND GOT IDENTICAL READINGS.

16. How long has this prop been on the boat and why, at this time, do you think it is the wrong prop.

JUST PUT ON FOR THE TEST RUN---NOT SURE IF IT IS THE RIGHT ONE OR NOT. I JUST REMEMBER HEARING SOMEWHERE THAT THE RPMS SHOULD BE CLOSER TO THE WOT RATE OF 5500.

17. Does the prop show any damage that you can see

NONE---IT IS A BRAND NEW ONE AND IS PERFECT.

18. What problems are you trying to cure or what are you looking for the boat to do that it is not doing the way you think it should or to your expectations

I AM HAPPY WITH EVERYTHING BUT I AM WORRIED ABOUT NOT ATTAINING A HIGH ENOUGH RPM AS I WANT THE MOTOR TO RUN AT ITS MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY FOR THE MAXIMUM LIFE AND HEALTH OF IT IN THE LONG TERM. I ALSO WONDER ABOUT PROP SLIP.

19. If you are trying to attain a better cruising speed and fuel savings or trying to attain a faster speed I will want you to take your boat and run it with 1 or 2 people and give me the RPM and speed readings starting at 3,000 RPM in 500 RPM increments all the way to WOT.
1. 3000 RPM
2. 3500 RPM
3. 4000 RPM
4. 4500 RPM
5. 5000 RPM
6. 5500 RPM
7. 6000 RPM

REMEMBER, The prop I recommend will be NO better than the information you give me.

hwsiii

Commander
Re: Hwsiii,could I get your input please?

Dee, in my opinion, I KNOW absolutely there are at least two people that are MUCH BETTER than me on here, and that is walleyehed and Dhadley. That form you filled out is an old one of mine, that is why they ask me a lot of the time.
I will run the numbers for you later tonight, as I am busy at the moment, and I will do the best I can to figure out what you need.

H

hwsiii

Commander

You might try reading this for a better understanding of changing props for better performance, and for the major differences between aluminum props and stainless steel.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=369057

Dee, I will tell you that the people you were talking to in the other post were giving you some very good advice. Dhadley recommends running these older motors at a couple of hundred RPM above the rated maximum, and I know he knows more than I do, so I go with his recommendation, but I forget sometimes. LOL

I show you have a Negative prop slip with the prop that you have now, and that is impossible, I don't know whether it is the tach is reading wrong or the advertised pitch for this prop is wrong, my opinion is it is probably the advertised pitch. This prop is actually showing an Effective pitch of 17.4", and it is acting more like a 19" prop than a 17".

Prop Slip
Deesterpropslip.jpg

Effetive Prop Pith
DeesterEffetivePith.jpg

In my opinion, I would buy the Stiletto Advantage 1 in a 2" lower pitch than you have now and that should raise you up about 500 RPM and I doubt you will lose over 1 MPH if any at all.

H

deester

Cadet

H, I agree with you about the good advice that was given before and I definitely appreciate it. Also thank you very much for your advice. It just reaffirms what the right prop is for me. I am definitely going to go with your suggestion and will post to let you know the numbers once I get the prop and get in a test run. Again thank you for your help. D

hwsiii

Commander

Dee, you are very welcome.

H

deester

Cadet

H, I have finally received my new prop (the Stiletto Advantage I in the 15 pitch) and tried it out. You hit the nail squarely on the head. My numbers are exactly what you predicted. The maximum speed stayed the same at 42 mph and the rpms went up from 5150 to 5650. You were a great help and I appreciate it very much! D

hwsiii

Commander

Dee, I am very very happy that you like the new prop, and in my opinion you are right at perfect on the RPM for your motor.

H