Plugs and gapping, Fuel mixture content, U name it... I got Questions for you guys.

BOCKAPHOBIA

Seaman Apprentice
1956 Evinrude Lark 30 hp. Electric... and Hand pull start.

2 plugs on engine.. Been running 50/1. Plugs are black and oily. Remmarkss...

What GAP should they be set at?

Fuel Filter in glass globe like a rock, Looks like nothing could get through it. Replace, clean, how do i clean it, or leave alone? Stepdad says that it is actualy made of rock. Is he pulling my chain>>?

What type of Oil Should I be mixing in gas. Says to use SAE 30, but most of you suggest something else..

Mix 50/1 or 24/1?

Is this motor for puttin around or could it get some SPEED?

Would a larger propeller make it go a little faster and not hurt the engine?

Can someone tell me how to post photos.. Id like for everyone to see this motor. It is really cool lookin!

All of you guys answers are greatly appreciated. To any of the other fellas who answered my questions, im sorry i forgot your answers and cannot find that thread that I started. DUGHHH

As u guys see, Im no mechanic hardly at all. But I seem to Love to work on that boat and motor! I think I found my new hobby!:D

Last edited:

EN2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Just realized What I really Got!

You should be using 24 to 1 mix in your motor.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

25 hp Evinrude, fuel/oil ratio, 24/1 not 50/1. it uses the 2 line pressure fuel tank, it has coils, point, condensers under the flywheel. good info is in the TOP SECRET FILE

alot of parts are available thru the iboats marine store.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

25526 is a 1956 30hp

Fuel mix is 24:1 I think, but could be 20:1 but definitely not 50:1
The web page that told us fuel mixes seems to have been axed.

Parts diagrams and lists HERE

BOCKAPHOBIA

Seaman Apprentice

Are u pretty sure that its a 24/1? It does seem to smoke quite a bit.. and its loosing horsepower. Getting black around the plugs... Running the 50/1 didnt hurt it much did it? Total hours of running it with 50/1 around 8 last year. OOOOOPS:eek:

BOCKAPHOBIA

Seaman Apprentice

Yea. Seems to smoke a little more than it should. Its getting black around the plugs too. I got one of those mixing cans to tell me the ratio. What type of oil sould i be using in that thing! Says to use SAE 30 on intructions under the hood. Also... There is a part missing by where the Gas feed cable comes into the motor. Its a shaft about a foot long... when looking at the engine from the front it says slow fast. It doesnt do anything. back where the cog is there is a part missing. Would it be wise to order a manual for that motor. And also find an old one to buy for parts. How much you think that motor is worth too guys?????

BOCKAPHOBIA

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Man. Im gonna go take some pics of that motor and boat and if you dont care i would like to send them too you. Post on site too. I really love the looks of that motor, but it wont help me if i dont know how to run it and take care of it. Be back on here in about an hour. again. thanks:cool:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Mix is 24:1. Use TC-W3 outboard motor oil. Much better than the old SAE 30. It is SUPPOSED to smoke. If you are fouling plugs, you may have poor ignition (cracked coils are common). Or the carburetor may be out of adjustment. Are you running it on a boat in the lake? You can't adjust it properly in a barrel.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

also the old salts that did a lot of slow running, opened the spark plug gap to .035 or .040 to cut down on plugs fouling.

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

Try synthetic or synthetic blend oil, they both cut down on the smoke, synthetic especially. It is definitely NOT 50:1 . My 15 hp 56 is 24:1. They are worth more as a runner than they are to sell. probably $250-300 tops. Rick

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

On SAE 30 it'll smoke right enough!
I used to use it in my British Seagull about 30 odd years ago. I think the smoke is still hanging over Portsmouth Harbour.. mind you I was using a 10:1 mix.

Barely any smoke at all now converted to run on 25:1 and using TCW3

BOCKAPHOBIA

Seaman Apprentice

I just saw that you are from Jacksonville. I live in Southside WV. If i were to ever move to florida Jacksonville is where id move to. Got relatives down there in Jackiville..!:)

BOCKAPHOBIA

Seaman Apprentice

Are u guys sure its 24/1???????????????? I was running 50/1 I took the plugs out and looked at them. They are pitch black and will a little oil on them. Loss of compression u think? The plugs look brand new on it. I did notice that one of the wires doesnt seem to "snap" onto the plug like the bottom one does..

I have another question... what in the world kind of fuel filter is supposed to be in that thing.. Its hard as a rock and looks like nothing could get through it. My stepdad says that they are made out of rock.. Is he pullin my chain?

I am also trying to get you guys some pictures too. I have them all on the camera but do not know how to get them onto the computer.. then the website.

BOCKAPHOBIA

Seaman Apprentice

I forgot to mention too that mud dobbers got into the engine and built muddy nests all over it last week!!

If I clean up those plugs do u guys think i could still use them or should I absoloutly get them replaced.....IM POOR:(

BOCKAPHOBIA

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Plugs and gapping, Fuel mixture content, U name it... I got Questions for you guy

Oh for the love of Pete. There you guys are after I did a new thing.... My bad. I kinda dont get the way we communicate still

BOCKAPHOBIA

Seaman Apprentice

also the old salts that did a lot of slow running, opened the spark plug gap to .035 or .040 to cut down on plugs fouling.
Thanks! Id be down there in a heartbeat then but its Turkey Season up here in WV, and i got guys wanting me to be their guide..
Plus im broke and truck is broke.:(

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Go back and read my previous answer.

Mix is supposed to be 24:1. Some will say that 50:1 is ok. That is one of the most argued topics in outboarding. I don't argue, do whatever you want. But use TC-W3 outboard oil. SAE 30 is old school. Some things actually have improved.

It is supposed to smoke. Believe it. If it is not running correctly and not adjusted correctly it will smoke a LOT. If you are running it in a barrel or bucket, it will smoke up the whole neighborhood.

I don't believe you are running it on a boat in the lake and have adjusted the carburetor properly. The plugs will be black and oily if you are doing otherwise. Even when running correctly in the proper environment, they will be black and oily after prolonged slow speed running.

I don't believe you have checked those coils. Remove the recoil starter and then the thin plate from the top of the flywheel. You can then see the coils. If they are cracked, you are totally wasting your time till you deal with them.

The filter: Some were a fiber material, almost like wood. Some were sintered metal---thousands of tiny balls fused together. Looks almost like rock.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Plugs and gapping, Fuel mixture content, U name it... I got Questions for you guy

Champion suggests J8C-RJ8C @ .030"
http://www.championsparkplugs.com/results_appOther.asp?otherMotiveID=12211&mfid=2

A little hotter (might burn the oil off) than J6C or the L77JC4 that has a longer reach and is for newer engines.

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/sparkplug411_manufacturer.asp?manufacturerID=2

Champion plug charts are full of horse hockey. JOHNSON, the people that made it, calls for a J6J, which is obsolete. Closest currently available plug is J6C. J6J was a true two-cycle plug. Today's engineers don't even know what that means.