850 mercury water, leak into cylinder

hereto

Seaman
I have a 1976 Mercury 850 I could use some help with. Yesterday I noticed a small amount of milky material comming from the lower unit while it was setting at an idle. Went down to check on it the next morning and discovered a thick black residue running down the length of the skag, this was comming from prop shaft, prop area. Took it out and run it hard for about a mile and quickly shut it down. Pulled the plugs and spotted # 4 was water washed. Ran compression check, and all was well. I'm hoping its a gasket problem, but I don't know where to start the search. Also checked l/u lube, looked good.Trying not to get windy, just trying to supply good info. Thanks all!!!! in advance.

hereto

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 850 mercury water, leak into cylinder

The #1 cause of water intrusion into #4 cylinder is the lower crankshaft seals or housing.

hereto

Seaman

Thanks for the reply Fastbullet. I have also heard that another place I could be getting water intrusion is at the exhaust cover, plate and gaskets. With what you furnished I will be able to decide which direction I will take, but need one more question answered. Can I remove the exhaust cover without removing power head. Neither of my manuals will help as they only cover complete tear down and reassembly. Don't look like I'm going to get to the bottom bolts without pulling the power head. Thanks ahead in advance, This site is and you pros are Great!!!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Both these jobs (lower crank seals and exhaust cover gasket replacement) should be done at the same time... And since you have to pull the powerhead off to do either job, why not do both at the same time....

Pulling the powerhead is more fiddly than difficult... Do you have a Merc manual?

Chris.........

hereto

Seaman

Thank you all for the feedback, have also heard it best to leave the exhaust cover alone if the leak is found at the seals for fear of broken bolts. My engine is a fresh water guy and has never seen salt water. I checked a couple bolts toward the top of cover and they broke lose, no problem. I then broke loose a couple more on the right hand side of cover that showed some signs of leakage in the past. These bolts broke loose without a problem also, but there was definitely a lot of drag on these bolts (didn't remove any, just backed them out maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turn. I think with the help of some w/d I could carefully work them out. My first thought is to leave it alone if the leak is found, don't know if I'm over reacting but I'm terrified about even thinking about trying to remove broken bolts from an aluminum casting. Am I over reacting? Thanks again everyone?

hereto

achris

More fish than mountain goat

.... but I'm terrified about even thinking about trying to remove broken bolts from an aluminum casting. Am I over reacting?

I don't know about overreacting, but broken bolts is part of the job... I work on salt water engines (we don't have any fresh water, apart from drinking water:D) and there are techniques to deal with struck bolts, and the inevitable broken ones too...

This is what I found works for me. Other people may have other ideas and opinions, that's their deal.

Bolt feels struck. When you back a bolt out of Ali you usually hear it 'crack' off. If it feels like it's turning, by there is no noise, it could be shearing off. STOP! before it breaks. The first thing I do is hit it with a hammer and drift, HARD. The idea here is to shock the bolt free. If I have an engine that has bolts that are obviously going to be stuck, it's an old engine, etc, then I will usually go around all the bolts I want to remove and hammer shock them even before I start trying to remove them. (Sort of tell the engine that I'm serious and it would be far less pain, for both of us, if it just gives up now :D).

The next thing I'll do with a stuck bolt is to hit it hard with the oxy torch. One thing about ali when you're heating it.... It will get hotter, get hotter, get hotter, oh dear, it's a puddle on the floor! Unlike steel it doesn't change colour. There is a very subtle sign JUST before it becomes that puddle, the outside gets a slight crazed finish... But by the time you see that, it's already too late. :( So, I have a rule. Get in fast, hit it hard, get out fast. So with all that in mind.... I heat the bolts up really fast until it's red.... Then let it cool... The idea behind this one is that the corrosion products holding the bolt in (that white powder) will dry out and release its grip in the bolt.

If that doesn't work... (now is when we will have all those people adding that they use XYZ product and it does ABC.... Well, this is my story, not theirs!) I have tried various penetrating oils and sprays, usually with a very limited degree of success (and for all the naysayers, yes, I did it as per the product instruction...) Ok, bolts still stuck. Then I'm afraid you just have to break the bolt (and hope it breaks under the head, not on the face of the threaded surface), remove the rest of the cover (or whatever you removing) and get them out later...

Ok... bolts broken off, nothing you could do about it.... If there is enough thread protruding to get vice grips on, great.... Give the bolt a few sharp hit with the hammer, heat it up and let it cool, give it a few more hits, then try and unscrew it....

Bolt sheared level with the surface (or so close that you can't get a descent grip with anything)... Nothing to do here except drill and tap. Centre punch it as close to centre as you can... Remember Ali drills easier than stainless, so if the drill is not dead centre you'll end up with an offset hole (not a good look). Now, using a very small drill, drill all the way though... Then gradually open up the hole until you have removed almost all of the bolt material. You should be left with threads around the edge of the hole.... If you got it dead centre you should be able to 'unpeel' the remaining stainless steel out. I usually use a thread repair (Heli-coil or the like) on all hole I've had broken bolts in... And have a good look at the others too.

Good luck ;););)

Chris.............

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

the exhaust cover is not so bad -i didnt break any - it's the water jacket cover ,pain in the *** - all but 3 snapped even after using penetration oil for a week prior - had to drill and re-tap ( with a hand drill) was close to straight all said and done and its held for 2 years - i just made sure when i put it back together that it should hold till the motor is done .

hereto

Seaman

Once again I wish to thank everyone for their help, I think I am ready to tackle this bad boy as soon as parts arrive. Am going to get parts on order today but want to check on those crankshaft seals I will need. These are the two pictured in my manual which are pressed into the lower crankshaft end cap, I also see 'o' rings so I guess I'll be ordering a seal kit that will include all I need. Just wanted to double check on these seals. Will let all know how it comes out. Thanks again.

hereto