115 evinrude

Leonard Ray

Seaman
I have a 1985 115 evinrude that will not rev up.Out of the water it it run fine and revs up,but when you put it in the water it runs 10 mph and that is it.I check the butterflys and they are opening up and put fresh fuel but nothing helps. HELP!!!!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 evinrude

With only two cylinders firing, the 115 crossflow can sound like it is running well with no load.

First, do a compression test, then a spark test.

Then, take an inductive timing light with you so that you can be sure you are getting fire to all cylinders under load.

SparkieBoat

Captain

and check and make sure all of your carbs are clean, and fuel lines are not sucking air

Leonard Ray

Seaman

Did a compresion test all where 125+ so I clean the carbs and they had trash in them so I rebuilt them and took it to the lake and it ran great. Then it started to lose power again.I took it home and cleaned every thing again from the tank to the carbs and took it back to the lake now it will not turn over 4000 rpms.It sound like it is flutter on top end. HELP

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If you take the drain plugs out one by one and flush the float bowls by squeezing the primer bulb, you may be able to flush out whatever is blocking your high speed jets.

Leonard Ray

Seaman

Took carb off and cleaned them AGAIN and it did nothing to help.Do you think it may be the fuel pump. It is a VRO engine.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The fuel pump just fills the carburetor float bowls, so it would not keep the engine from running if the bowls are full. See if you can keep the motor running by squeezing the primer bulb.

More likely that the float valve needle(s) are sticking, causing the bowls to run empty. Did you make sure that the clips between the needles and the float arms were in place?

Attachments

• Float Valve Clip 2.JPG
    Float Valve Clip 2.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 0

Leonard Ray

Seaman

Yes thay were in place.It run at an ide ok it just will not rev up over 4000 rpms. Pump the ball and it made no differance while it was running.

Leonard Ray

Seaman

Changed the plugs 2 times ,They all have fire but have no other way of checking the coils.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

What is the pitch of your propeller and what boat are you running on?

SparkieBoat

Captain

Ezeks first post was to eliminate spark and compression, you still need to finish that part. You can get a spark gap tester for about $10 from an auto parts store..an absolute necessity for working on outboards...should get a strong continuous spark at 7/16 gap.
double check your spark with this, If you can borrow an inductive timing light as Ezek mentioned this would eliminate a coil breaking down at high RPMs,
if the coils are old you can replace all 4 for around $100, not a bad thing to do.
you have eliminated compression, once ignition is eliminated you will know for sure it is fuel related.
As to Ezeks last post, was this motor on this same boat and running fine before with same prop?? the wrong pitch prop can cause low RPMs. But if it was running fine before then its a motor issue.
you are using champion QL77JC4 plugs?? at .030 gap