Are there any dirtbike riders out there ?

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just wanted to see if there are dirt bike riders on this forum, if you ride, or use to ride tell us what you rode or ride now. I now have a Yamaha 99 TTR250, 2005 Honda CRF150, 1989 Honda CR125, 1986 XR80, 1974 XL100, and a hybrid Kawasaki KX80 with a Honda XR100 motor. I’ve been riding for 36 years :eek: , started when I was 12. When were not boating or fishing, the kids I go trail riding. . I know there are some stories needing to be shared. :)

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Are there any dirtbike riders out there ?

Hi Monoshock. I haven't ridin in a couple of decades, but I used to ride a yamaha 250 that belonged to a buddy. I might get back into it since my wife wants a dirt bike. But I definatly will never throw a leg over a street bike again.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I have a 1976 Kawasaki KE125 that runs like a champ, total investment about 350 bucks.<br /><br />Also, my 9 yr old got a Chinese "Pantera" bike 49 cc, but its a big bike, I can ride it (6 ft 250 lbs).<br /><br />We ride when we can, just got a new deer lease, were gonna ride there.<br /><br />I prefer dirt bikes over 4 wheelers, it takes more skill and its more fun.<br /><br />Wife likes to ride either one, and the 3 yr old loves to ride too.<br /><br />Ken

jt57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Growing up in wyoming ,i started riding dirtbikes when i was about 14.My first bike was a t/s suzuki 250,then moved to a huskavana 250.Started racing motorcross when i was about 18 ,had a blast doing that.Was racing a CZ 250 ,then moved to a suzuki RM 400,that was one wickely fast bike.Seemed like europeran bike's were popular around here,we had macio's,CZ's,a odessa,plus a mixture of RM's,YZ's,and one guy was riding a TT yamaha 500 four stroke.Lots and lots of big hills to climb around here,and i think we tryed everyone of them.

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

I stoped counting how many bikes I’ve owned, I have never owned a street bike and never will. There are too many crazy drivers on the road. Every weekend there is severely fatalities in this area with street bike riders. I bought my daughter (now 24) a Honda CRF150, she likes it a lot, it has a low seat height where you can put both feet on the ground. This is a great ladies bike. That's her in the middle of the picture.<br />
is.php

Kiwi Phil

Commander

My 11 yr old, Hayden, rides a Quad (or ATV) Yamaha Raptor 4 stroke 80cc. <br />Had it since he was 6 and I am not sure giving it to him was a smart idea. Been sensible so far but I fear a roll-over.<br />Goes to a mates place whose father just had a bulldozer in for 2 days cutting the kids a track around their property. <br />Tows a half cu yard John Deere tipping trailer with it moving material around our property. Wants to take that to the mates place too so they can carry the camping gear for a night out.<br />I do worry about him on it.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Your wifes ride motorcycles that's awesome guys.<br /><br />1990 Yammy HT 600 Enduro.<br /><br />Sold my Cb Honda years ago...to many morrons around here.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I used to ride and hava had a bunch of nice bikes from strictly dirt to enduros and street bikes. I now ride a 500 Suzuki Vinson in the mountains behind my house. I guess the biddest bonus is the capacity to carry stuff in and out of the woods.<br /><br />Bob

one more cast

Captain

I started out on a 1970 Honda ct70 then at 15 I bought a 1972 Honda cb175 road bike and road that on trails until I was 16 and got my mc license. I was pretty good on that bike, I could keep up with my buddy who road and raced a yamaha yz125. I also had a Husky 390 or was it a 360? anyhow, that thing was scary. It had a power band about as wide as a hair.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

had a yam xt600 up til last year-sold it because I kept getting too wild and falling off and breaking it-repairs were costing too much. The last spills were a 6 foot fall sideways off an earth bank and a rather abortive attempt to ride along a riverbed when it sank...

tommays

Admiral

i had about 11 motocross and enduro bikes over the years<br /><br />we had two motorcross tracks got shut down after people built houses to close and then filed noise lawsuits :mad: <br /><br />then somehow the tree huggers mad it a crime to use them at all so i gave up<br /><br />dont you understand that you have just dammaged that hill for ever by rideing up it ;) <br /><br />but its ok for a horse to leave turds all over the walkng trails in state parks but dont walk you dog because he might bother a horse ;) <br /> <br /> <br /><br />now they still sell a ton and police spend there time ticketing and inpounding bikes<br /><br />tommays

Link

Rear Admiral

Quit riding dirt bikes in the 70's.. <br />Gave up Street bikes in the 80's and took up boats..<br />All are fun... might go back to riding trail bikes again..

dk990496

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont ride dirt bikes any more but i do owen <br />1977 YAMAHA 750-2-D and a <br />1980 YAMAHA XS850SG SPECAIAL

LubeDude

Admiral

Wow, it hurts to think about it. Yes, I used to ride dirt Bikes, did it for a number of years back in the mid seventies. Had 250s for a couple years, then had to have one of the new "Monoshocks" Yamaha 400. Then I was fealess, almost killed myself more than one time hill climbing. Came home one evening, piled everything in the corner and walked into the house and told the wife, "I QUIT"!! She didnt believe me. I told her that if I didnt quit that I wouldnt be alive to play with my grandkids. Within a week I had sold everything including my boots. Havent been on one sence. Now I dont walk right, and I have a scare that runs up the middle of my back from being run over by one of my riding friends. Not really his fault though, it was unavoidable.

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br />"Monoshocks"
Could be where I came up with my user name. :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by PierBridge:<br /> Your wifes ride motorcycles that's awesome guys.
My wife has more miles on a motorcycle than I do.<br /><br />She used to street race her bike when she was growing up in Thailand.<br /><br />Her last bike she bought was the sport bike style, not the dorky vespa style. She wanted a bike with a clutch. :D <br /><br />Ken

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I love to ride dirtbikes :D Wife doesn't love it though. My last was a Honda 175. I bought it mainly for the engine for a go cart. I brought the bike home, got it running and was jumping the hill in the back yard. My wife saw me in the air about 6' and came running out of the house and said park it and tear it apart. So that is the last time I was on a dirt bike. Lots of scars also, but the fun was worth every bit of pain.<br /><br />Its weird that she doesn't get upset when she saw me in mid air with the go cart at the same height. :confused:

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Don't ride anymore but I owned Yammy IT465 Kawasaki Kx400 And my favorite I owned and beat for 11 years 1984 KTM 495 5 speed works factory race bike 218 lbs 83hp dynoed never had the *alls to open it up to see what the top speed was, on some flat farmland here I passed my buddy with his Can-am 250 with a speedo pegged at 80 with more than half the throttle to go. With the up-side down forks and the White bros mono shock it rode like a caddy....

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I currently have a 1980 Yami DT-175 (Enduro)...fun to ride the trails with, but not much into wild things.<br /><br />my kids have a Honda 90cc dirt bike that they ride around on.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by monoshock:<br />[QBCould be where I came up with my user name. :D [/QB]
:p :p Ya think? :p :p