Hurricane Hull Design and Handling - 2010 Hurricane Sundeck Sport 188

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
OK, I'm looking for some information on the 'correct' name for the hull design of the Hurricane hulls, particularly the new 2010 Sundeck Sport 188.

I've heard it called a trihull, modified V, Deep V with sponsons, etc. What is the design?

And, for any existing owners of this design, how does it compare in performance to a V hull. Does it ride hard in choppy lake waters (I suspect not as smooth as a deep V but better than a traditional trihull)

Also, how does it corner compared to a traditional deep V hull?

Either way, I love the boat and just sold my 2002 Hurricane 170 for the new 2010 SS 188 with a 175 Mercury Optimax. Can't wait for the 1st of May when my new toy arrives.

PS... the handling questions are curiosity as its more of a family fun boat for tubing and cruising, and basically a lake boat as my last one was.

Re: Hurricane Hull Design and Handling - 2010 Hurricane Sundeck Sport 188

NelsonQ,

I've got a 2010 SS 188 with Yamaha 115hp on the way. Can't wait for ice out! I hope we get someone who can answer your query. I'm interested as well. Just wanted you to know that I'm out here, just joined today, and am hoping we get this to be a really active portion of the website. C'mon hurricane owners.

Other interests: Fishing, flopping around in the water, fishing, and in the winter...snowmobiling.

OneidaLake

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

NelsonQ,

I've got a 2010 SS 188 with Yamaha 115hp on the way. Can't wait for ice out! I hope we get someone who can answer your query. I'm interested as well. Just wanted you to know that I'm out here, just joined today, and am hoping we get this to be a really active portion of the website. C'mon hurricane owners.

Other interests: Fishing, flopping around in the water, fishing, and in the winter...snowmobiling.

OneidaLake

Hey Oneida, I'm a few hours North of you in Ottawa, Ontario. Welcome to iboats. Great forums with amazing information and lots of helpful folks and interesting conversations.

This 'hard water' is impacting my ability to go boating but I'm sure it's soon going to be time. I guess you'll enjoy the livewell for fishing... was a surprise add on that I'll use for sure.

I have a GS170 with a 115HP. Runs in the low to mid 40s which is what I suspect you'll get out of yours. Love my current boat. Just wanted a spot for a few more folks and a few more ponies to drag the around in so I bought the SS188. Won't arrive until first week of May though :(

Not a lot of Hurricane owners around but hopefully we'll draw them here to talk about these great boats.

Do you have a current boat or is this a first?

Hi NelsonQ,

Great fishing up there in Canada, or so I'm told. My brother was USAF and one time he did 2-3 weeks with the Canadian AF involving some training, simulations etc... Anyway, when he was up there they did some fishing for Northerns and had a blast.

This is our 3rd boat. My situation is similar to yours in that I wanted to move up in capacity of persons. I had a 18 foot closed bow, very solid older boat, which seated only 4 according to USCG regulations. My boys are coming of the age in which they will be bringing friends aboard. So, we bought in consideration of fishability, ski/tubing, swimming, and all the while being able to get a couple of families aboard for fun. We have been drooling over the Hurricanes for many years now, and have finally been able to make the move.

Oneida Lake is known for some rough conditions, so I intend to learn this boat's capabilities gradually. I live on the lake, so I can always go in if the conditions are too rough. I'm thinking that when drifting in chop we will need to watch the bow closely and see how it responds to oncoming waves. Some other online reading I've done points out that the Hurricanes do not have a significant deadrise, so the ride may be rough in the chop. Only time will tell I suppose. I'm optimistic that this will be a fantastic boat for us.

If nobody comments on your original post, we will have to share our experiences when the ice melts. I am thinking that I'll be on the water by mid-April, hopefully. Can't wait...

Oneida

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Oneida

Never had the fortune of fishing the northern parts but I've seen what comes out of them. Some nice Northern Pike and the Muskie fishing on the river is slow but rewarding.

I have a friend with the FunDeck 228 OB. Similar hull. Cuts through a small chop quite nicely but again, no one knows what to call that hull design. My V hull on my 170 was pretty good head on but sideways rocked pretty good when anchored. I suspect this one will be much more stable side to side but depending on the chop you'll see on your lake (We usually don't hit more than a 12-16" chop on the worst days and can avoid it staying in some of the sheltered bays).

I think I'll ping Hurricane directly to find out the kind of hull if I don't hear something on here.

When the water opens up, we'll have to post stories and some pics on our new toys. :)

52 days and counting until my new boat arrives.....

NelsonQ,

Thanks for the info. Please let us know if you find out anything from Hurricane. THanks!

jpayne

Recruit

I bought a brand new hurricane deck boat in spring of 08. First time on the water we noticed cracks in the gelcoat. Notified dealer and they returned it to the factory in the fall and repair cracks and rewired boat something smelled like burning rubber. Summer of 09 after having the boat out several times noticed new crackes in gelcoat, notified dealer and sent pic's of cracks. This time the factory said that the cracks are just structual and will not effect the boat. Needless to say i 'am upset and will not recommend Hurricane to anybody. Our family loves the boat but they will only back there product once then forget about you.:mad:

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

jpayne

I currently own a 2002 Hurricane, and the spidering in the gelcoat is in a few places but as you've mentioned, not structural and cosmetic.

Haven't had to deal with them on a new boat purchase but thanks for sharing your experience.

From most of the stories I've seen similar to this online, there are difficult manufacturers but most problems stem from the backbone and the willingness of the dealer to push the manufacturer. I'm not absolving them of their responsibility but the truth of the matter is the dealer also, in my opinion, has to stand behind their customer service.

I hope (for my sake and Oneida's) our boats are in good quality and we don't have to find out if its our dealer, manufacturer or possibly both.

Have you seen the gelcoat problems worsen?

Great new here in upstate New York. Blue waters are back again! Ice out has occurred and we are seeing the remaining floes melting and breaking up. Should be boatable in a few weeks. They are calling for 70 degrees this Saturday 3/20 - amazing. I know there is still potential for snow and cold, but the lake is open. Woohoo. I'm going to call the dealer and ask them to start prepping the Hurricane. They asked for 2 weeks notice. Can't wait.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Great new here in upstate New York. Blue waters are back again! Ice out has occurred and we are seeing the remaining floes melting and breaking up. Should be boatable in a few weeks. They are calling for 70 degrees this Saturday 3/20 - amazing. I know there is still potential for snow and cold, but the lake is open. Woohoo. I'm going to call the dealer and ask them to start prepping the Hurricane. They asked for 2 weeks notice. Can't wait.

Oneida

Thingas are looking the same here. Only downside is that my boat is on order from Hurricane and still being built. Won't arrive until 1st of May so this early spring is driving me nuts... Might have to water test my current boat for the new owner just to make sure it all runs great :D

Nelson said:

"Thingas are looking the same here. Only downside is that my boat is on order from Hurricane and still being built. Won't arrive until 1st of May so this early spring is driving me nuts... Might have to water test my current boat for the new owner just to make sure it all runs great "

Don't feel too bad, Nelson. I called up the boat dealer (my boat is on location) and they will not have mine ready for me until 2nd week of April. I think most likely that a lot of their staff is laid off for the winter. They need to re-hire when things get nice n busy. So although I could put it in now, I've got to wait another 3 weeks - oh well.

I did hear my first boat engine from out on the lake yesterday, what a great sound!! I think that it would be very responsible of you to water test the current boat for the new owner. In fact, you should test it several times!! Good Luck.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I contacted Hurricane....

Their Engineering Division classified it as "more of a modified V-hull will more of a wide body"

kbtoys

Recruit

I am new to the forum! I was looking for a part for my Hurricane sd187 with a 200hpdi yami. I had to put in all that information to let you know what i am working with! I can't sing the praises of this boat loud enough! Deck boats in general, especially this hull design won't gie you smoothest ride on 2' to 4' swells but, what deck boat does?! You will have to learn how to keep the nose up, and fined the right speed and the ride is not bad at all. This boat is rated for a maximum of 200hp, so i maxed it out! We are in New Mexico at a 6200 ft. in altitude and the extra power is perfect. We wakeboard, kneeboard, and tube(i mean doulbe tube) a lot, with excellent hole shot. But the real bonus is the fuel economy! We went to Lake Havasu a few weeks ago. I filled up on Saturday, and drove the boat until thursday, and i still have close to half a tank. Now i'm not talking a few circles pulling the tube, then put it away for the day. We made 4 trips from the channel to the sandbar, that has to be 15 miles one way! Did I mention double tubing with 8 people either in tow or in the boat, with a top speed of 56mph! not tubing ofcoarse! last item! The river gets low in spots, vessel assist made thousands of dollars on the last day, pulling boats off the sand bars, but not from me, remember the boat only needs 12" of water to float.

rdrsteve

Cadet

I am looking at deck boats and the current sale of the 188 caught my attention...until I was told the reason they are so much cheaper is wood is used in the hull design. Local dealer say they are 12 grand less than 194 model becuase of this...doesn't that seem odd that 2 boats of the EXACT same size cost $12,000 difference? Makes me wonder what other shortcuts are used on the 188? Does anybody know? Dealer says wood used only for storage areas....there surely isn't 12G worth of storage in the any boats of the same size! Anyone with any other info on the price differences and what other "bad things" could affect my decision?

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I am new to the forum! I was looking for a part for my Hurricane sd187 with a 200hpdi yami. I had to put in all that information to let you know what i am working with! I can't sing the praises of this boat loud enough! Deck boats in general, especially this hull design won't gie you smoothest ride on 2' to 4' swells but, what deck boat does?! You will have to learn how to keep the nose up, and fined the right speed and the ride is not bad at all. This boat is rated for a maximum of 200hp, so i maxed it out! We are in New Mexico at a 6200 ft. in altitude and the extra power is perfect. We wakeboard, kneeboard, and tube(i mean doulbe tube) a lot, with excellent hole shot. But the real bonus is the fuel economy! We went to Lake Havasu a few weeks ago. I filled up on Saturday, and drove the boat until thursday, and i still have close to half a tank. Now i'm not talking a few circles pulling the tube, then put it away for the day. We made 4 trips from the channel to the sandbar, that has to be 15 miles one way! Did I mention double tubing with 8 people either in tow or in the boat, with a top speed of 56mph! not tubing ofcoarse! last item! The river gets low in spots, vessel assist made thousands of dollars on the last day, pulling boats off the sand bars, but not from me, remember the boat only needs 12" of water to float.

Glad you enjoy the boat..... and thanks for the information. I don't get mine for another month but I'm excited to get it.

I put a 175HP on it (Mercury Optimax DFI) so I'm looking forward to the extra performance out of it and hopefully the good mileage you've mentioned.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I am looking at deck boats and the current sale of the 188 caught my attention...until I was told the reason they are so much cheaper is wood is used in the hull design. Local dealer say they are 12 grand less than 194 model becuase of this...doesn't that seem odd that 2 boats of the EXACT same size cost $12,000 difference? Makes me wonder what other shortcuts are used on the 188? Does anybody know? Dealer says wood used only for storage areas....there surely isn't 12G worth of storage in the any boats of the same size! Anyone with any other info on the price differences and what other "bad things" could affect my decision?

rdrsteve....first welcome to iboats. Great site/info here.

I was concerned about what you've mentioned about the boat. Yes, it is wood in the storage areas and glass the remainder. I'm actually thinking I may glass those areas myself.

Other differences I've seen (although I haven't seen the 194 in person) but believe they're identical in most ways.

- Jensen vs Sony stereo that's in the SS188 (interesting as the Sony in the 188 is listed as an upgrade on the 194)
- helm layout and gauges
- floor in storage areas

However, if you check out Hurricane's website (http://hurricaneboats.com/boatdeals.cfm) They're sold out. Only dealer inventory left.

My belief is that its pretty much the same boat and that they changed the model # to list it as a lost leader to create a buzz in their products with limited inventory. Now that they're sold out at the beginning of the season, they can show you similar models that cost more. Once they have you in the showroom, your a highly qualified lead.

That's my opinion. Also, that $18K boat, once you add all the extras that you want (like hydraulic steering, 175 instead of 115, add a trailer, and carpets, etc, etc) very quickly becomes a $30K boat (I'm in Canada so the boat started at $20K up here)

What I can also tell you is, I'm upgrading, from my 2002 GS170. That boat is 8 years old, and the biggest reason I'm buying another Hurricane. I can't see them putting out a lesser quality boat to impact their reputation to save a few $$$$.

Hope that's helpful.

rdrsteve

Cadet

Thanks for the info NelsonQ, I did correspond with a district sales manager who said I could order a boat by May and still have one made, although he did NOT answer my wood questions at all, almost like he ignored them. That had me puzzled. mY wife is looking at the yellow hull color and i asked if any were made at where they were shipped to. All he said was they could still make one for me. Do you think the 115 is enough HP? I also would like an ETEC instead of yamaha,strictly due to maint costs. I have had a ETEC 75 on my Triumph and love it!

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

rdrsteve

I'd be surprised if they can still order it as Hurricane has said sold out and only inventory that dealers have is now available. However, he may have access to a network of dealers and can still arrange it.

Your comment about engine is why I indicated there is little difference in the boat btw it and the 194 OB. A good rule of thumb when determining an engine for your boat is to size it with an engine around 70% of the MAX HP. The reason why is this is a 10 person boat. So if you have 4 adults and a few kids and want to tube/waterski, etc.... you need to ability to get a skier up while still getting the boat and its weight on plane without needing WOT to achieve it.

With 200HP being the max, you'd most likely want a 135HP at minimum. So this boat now becomes more expensive. Mine increased by $5.5K to go from 115 to 175HP.

As a reference, I have 115HP on my Hurricane GS170 (now the 172 OB). With just myself in it on calm waters, I can hit top speed of 42MPH. And I can comfortably push along with a tube in tow and 4-5 people in the boat. However, I don't think that a 115HP on this boat is going to be useful for more than cruising if you're going to load it with people/tubes/skiers, etc. (Again just my opinion)

Also, my dealer, ordered the boat direct from Hurricane but without a motor. Instead they're installing a Mercury Optimax for me as they're a Merc dealer. So it depends on the dealer, but you may be able to opt for a different engine, but very unlikely if they can't order it and instead find you an inventory boat.

So at minimum, I think a 135HP would be the starting point, depending on your needs. You can never have too many ponies. I went larger because I'll run my cruising speeds at lower RPMs and should sit nicely in my optimal fuel consumption range. It's always a trade off.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you find out anything on the wood discussion and/or if you can find the boat/motor combo you want.

what I can tell you is you'll really love the Hurricane. My close friend is buying mine, I'm on my second, and another friend has one as well and we all have nothing but thumbs up on the Hurricanes..

rdrsteve

Cadet

I am starting to lean against the Hurricane simply due to the issue of wood in the hull..I can remember years ago having a bad feeling about a boat but buying it anyway and being stuck with a lemon(1987 Proline with an I/O) never get an I/O for saltwater use!! But the feeling of wood eventually causing me trouble is bugging me. Looking at Nautic Star 205, LIFETIME hull warranty, and no wood for basically the same price. Any other deck boats you know of? I notice the layout of all are basically the same.

kbtoys

Recruit

I am starting to lean against the Hurricane simply due to the issue of wood in the hull..I can remember years ago having a bad feeling about a boat but buying it anyway and being stuck with a lemon(1987 Proline with an I/O) never get an I/O for saltwater use!! But the feeling of wood eventually causing me trouble is bugging me. Looking at Nautic Star 205, LIFETIME hull warranty, and no wood for basically the same price. Any other deck boats you know of? I notice the layout of all are basically the same.

I can tell that the wood is only in a few locations where you might hang speakers, amplifiers, or something you might not want to drill straight into fiber glass. I have seen no wood where there could be standing water. I can tell you there is no other boat that drafts so little water. If you are a fisherman then you know how important this is. If you are into skiing and towing tubes and such, this boat planes like no other!