T/T bleeds down

Billy O

Seaman Apprentice
Have an 04' 90 hp Yamaha that the unit bleeds down on. Trimmed it out about 8 inches and put a block of wood under lower unit. In 15 minutes the unit had dropped 1/2 inch and was touching the wood. Any suggestions on what to do. In case it matters it is a 4 stroke.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: T/T bleeds down

Check your emergancy release valve and make sure it isn't loose.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

is it leaking around the piston?mine was,03 f90,i removed the unit and took it to a hydraullic? repair shop,they replaced some o rings,now its fine after bleeding air out.cost $100

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

me again,if the piston/cylinder is not leaking you may need to bleed air and add fluid to t/t.to bleed it first make sure the manual valve is closed, clockwise to close. its on the bottom left of the pump/motor you can see the access hole in the engine clamp bracket,bottom left near the hole for the shaft that holds the bottom of the t/t unit.to bleed, trim all the way up,then remove the filler plug in center of square pump housing (faces backwards toward eng).if fluid runs out its full,if not add. my 03 F90 takes dexron 2 trans. fluid.you may need a small hose and funnel as the filler hole is smallish.fill till it spills out and replace plug. cycle t/t down/up all the way 3 or 4 times ,then repeat raise/plug/fill/plug/cycle until fluid spills when you unscrew plug,then your done and it should hold position.you should see eng.rise higher each time you bleed/cycle t/t as fluid goes in and air comes out.if its not leaking @ piston,and bleeding is not helping then you may have leaking inside the valve ***.there are alot of o rings in there.Randy

Billy O

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, this thing had sat up for like 2 years. Can see signs of fluid on outside of pump but it is clear like brake fluid. It will tilt all the way up and you can't pull it down. Lower it a few inches then lean on it. It will drop about 3 inches before bottoming out. After that it is a very slow leak down.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I think you have a broken O ring.mine were/was on the piston seal.I saw it on the cylinder and the water,wiped w/ a white rag I saw the redish trans fluid.it makes sense if the eng sat up, the piston or shaft got dry,and the next time it moved w no/not enough lube .... we all know what lube or lack of does to revolving or tight fitting oh **** you know where this going!Id check those O rings on the piston/cylinder first.you could try to bleed it, if it pumps up the leak may be more noticeable.also inspect the piston for scratches or gouges when its all out, all the way up.if the shaft is ok o rings should fix it.

Billy O

Seaman Apprentice

What I think I'm seeing as fluid is clear like brake fluid not redish like trans fluid. Shaft looks good but will take a better look tomorrow.