ok for ocean use?

rsw21282

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need some help in deciding what kind of boat to get for my needs. Iam fairly new to the ocean boating world and live in west palm beach fl., am wanting to buy a boat that I can take on the ocean, no more than 5miles out (being cautious of weather). I plan to use it for two things fishing and diving. Price is a concern so am wanting to stay under 15k, as well as I have a Jeep wrangler 6cyl. so 19-20-21ft is about the max it will handle. Now i have come to the conclusion through other posts that pontoon boats and deckboats wont work. so the question is will any of these:
bayliner or searay 18ft(big question for these, they are much cheaper)?
these all ok for the ocean?
seafox 18ft (the rest are center consoles)
key largo 18ft
proline 19ft
aquasport osprey 18ft
seaboss 21ft

cr2k

Captain
Re: ok for ocean use?

Well yea. Whichever one is the most workable for your needs.
Center consuls work good for both diving and fishing.

made in china

Seaman

Since you mentioned your tow rig, most people here conclude that a Wrangler is not suited for towing much of anything. Wheelbase is way too short and center of gravity kinda high.
I'd also research your tow vehicle if I were you.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Since you mentioned your tow rig, most people here conclude that a Wrangler is not suited for towing much of anything. Wheelbase is way too short and center of gravity kinda high.
I'd also research your tow vehicle if I were you.

+1

Look up the capcities of your Wrangker, including tow capacity, max tongue weight and GCWR. IMO a 19-21' anything will be too much for that car, in weight, length or both. Read some of the discussions in the towing forum.

Good luck in your search.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

skip the bayliner searay

Sea Boss is the best on the list due to extra size.

Theotehrs are fine IF they are the deep v hull and not the "bay" or "flats" design--those can be taken out but you're better off with the higher bow.

For diving, nothing beats the commercial hull Whaler--I think it's sold as "defender" but I'm not sure--it has a side door!

The water off the beach is not the real problem; its the inlets getting there and back that are tricky. Learn them and their differences in the various wind/tide combinations.

As for towing, a lot depends on how far you typically go, adn how good you are. The short wheel base and interstate braking are a bad combination. Down to the neighborhood ramp, not so much.

Philster

Captain

I believe the consensus in your first thread on this matter was that you are not being realistic in the need for more size.

Five miles out is far in a boat that small. Being conscious of the weather is nice, but isn't that the land of pop-up t-storms and other weather fun?

I want to cruise from South Jersey to Virginia and back a few times per year on my boat... but it just ain't big enough.

I see guys heading out in 19 - 21' center consoles all the time. Of course, I see people tailgating and doing dumb things in their cars. Doing dumb things doesnt guarantee bad results, but it sure increases the odds of bad things happening.

I also believe in your first thread that I, and others, mentioned you'd keep fishing this subject until a few people didn't talk you out of it.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

Dusky.com
the factory is close to you,,, I have one and love it.
Very heavy and durable.
You can design your own and have them build it also.
good luck

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I disagree; 5 miles is not that far* if you know what you are doing, and are smart about the conditions, your equipment and limitations. People hear "ocean" and think Perfect Storm like others hear "lake" (as in Michigan) and think On Golden Pond.

Which is why I suggested staying away from the sofa boats and going with the boater's boat--a center console. Can't do anything for him, though, if he's like that other guy recently who wanted to go out in 10-20' seas!

*from shore AND from your inlet.

Philster

Captain

Home Cookin', we are talking about a guy who considered a pontoon boat for this purpose (5 miles out in the ocean off Florida).

So, this ain't some seasoned salt that can read the seas and make a 19' boat safer than some can make a deep V 26' cruiser.

He ain't in that category of guys that can run out in a boat like that. What a boat can do and what an owner can do with it are vastly different.

I stand by my original position: If one considers a pontoon boat for 5 miles out in the Atlantic in FLA, then they don't have what it takes experience-wise to be runnin' out in a 19-21' boat.