exhause and ujoint bellow question

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Mercruiser 4cyl. 2.5L 120HP 1988 Glasstream

if you want to replace the ujoint and exhaust bellows because they have some crack, do you really have really have to remove the stern drive or the out drive?
my mechanic says he has to drop everything then he can get to it thus charging the labor for it.

also how bad is it to use the boat while the exhaust bellow is literraty out of its place from the outdrive side (not the boat side)?.
when i pulled the boat out of the water i noticed the clip that holds it there is gone perhaps some where in the middle of lake ontario now! i was still taking the boat for spins though since i didnt know better.
how much damage could have been caused due to this? is there anything i should be worried about and thus get it checked?

thanks iboats.

woosterken

Lieutenant
Re: exhause and ujoint bellow question

if the u-joint bellows has cracks in it you can bet the u-joints and gimbel bearing have water in them also and thats BAD!!
the u-joints need to be serviced any way
and for changing them with out removeing the out drive would be next to imposible

woosterken

achris

More fish than mountain goat

...if you want to replace the ujoint and exhaust bellows because they have some crack, do you really have to remove the stern drive or the out drive....

Completely impossible to replace uni-joint bellows without removing the drive... Even for a proctologist. :D

The extra labour to remove the drive is shouldn't be more than 15 minutes, unless the drive is seized on.

Chris......

Bondo

Staff member

if you want to replace the ujoint and exhaust bellows because they have some crack, do you really have really have to remove the stern drive or the out drive?

Ayuh,... Absolutely....

What's with the funky Es at the ends of your words,..??

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Ayuh,... Absolutely....

What's with the funky Es at the ends of your words,..??

I think he's using a different language keyboard and the ASCII codes for whatever character he's typing is showing up on our computer as "funky Es" because we don't have the same language loaded on ours.

Just my guess....

He will see those 'funky E's' as the same as he typed them, so he has no idea what you're talking about. (Hmm... Think I've heard that complaint before... :D:D:D)

Bondo

Staff member

so he has no idea what you're talking about. (Hmm... Think I've heard that complaint before... :D :D :D)

Ayuh,... That's pretty Common,... Unlike his funky Es..... :D

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

On the exhaust bellows - no worry.

On the drive, or u-joint bellows - you definitely need to have that in place and in good shape. And like the others said, yep, you have to pull the drive to do that.

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL sorry for those funky E's. They are ment to me question marks but when i tried to enter the question mark's the E comes in place instead. This happens sometimes, i dont know why! ? ? see now they work!!!

thanks for the advice. well the gimble bearing was replaced in sept 09 but the bellow's weren't at that point. i should have had it done! now anyway i have to do it before water gets into way in there. the cracks are minor so i dont think that there will be water in the ujoint and gimble area.

i was worried about the fact that i was using my boat while the exhaust bellows were out..lucky boat didnt skin.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

i was worried about the fact that i was using my boat while the exhaust bellows were out..lucky boat didnt skin.

You could take the exhaust bellows off completely and still have no worries about sinking. No water gets in the boat from the exhaust bellows.

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could take the exhaust bellows off completely and still have no worries about sinking. No water gets in the boat from the exhaust bellows.

GREAT to hear this.
so only concern is the ujoint bellows. hope when the mechanic goes to replace that there isn't any water in there. the gimble was replaced in sept 09.
thanks guys