wont stay running?

guido469

Seaman Apprentice
Ive got a 1985 50hp merc that wont stay running. It starts but after about 3 seconds dies. I cant choke it or anything to keep it running, it just starts and dies. I have no clue where to start seeing as i dont know much about outboards. Thanks for any help in advance.

narvlebenoit

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: wont stay running?

it could be a bunch of things but when you start it pump the bulb and see if it keeps running it does fuel pump.....good luck Narvle

DuckOfDeath

Seaman

Agreed. If you're able to continuously prime the bulb to keep it running, it's likely the fuel pump. Very easy fix with an inexpensive replacement diaphram kit.

guido469

Seaman Apprentice

im gonna see what it does tomorrow. thanks for the info

guido469

Seaman Apprentice

well its running,not good and not for a long time but.... seems like it stays running sometimes when i pump the ball,like it could be the pump but then other times i pump the ball and it still spits and sputters and dies. not sure where to start. guess ill start with the fuel pump? or?

narvlebenoit

Petty Officer 1st Class

fuel Pump rebuild kit is cheap.next maybe carb rebuild kit.

guido469

Seaman Apprentice

thats what i was thinking too.is there a way to ckeck the coils?

DuckOfDeath

Seaman

When troubleshooting, you should perform the steps in an efficient order. Based on the symptoms you described, we suggested the fuel pump because it's a common cause of those symptoms. But if you want to look elswhere now, you should start from the beginning:
1) Compression check
2) test for good spark
3) fuel system

The reason to start with the compression check is that if you have a compression issue, there's no reason to check further, as the motor will not run right until that is addressed. Same with the spark check. If you're not getting spark on one or more cylinders, troubleshooting the fuel system is a waste of time.

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class

A must for carburator cleaning in solvent