problems with carb? or fuel pump?

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
hello there mercruiser 305/228 put in the water averything was good until I try to go over 2000 rpm engine shut down, star right up try again to go over 2000 dye again, this repeat sveral times have to go back to the dock on idle, any ideas, the boat have new plugs, new wires, new cap, new rotor, how can I test the pressure on the fuel pump what should be the normal pressure on the pu,p thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: problems with carb? or fuel pump?

Sounds more like water in the carb than anything else.
Head up to the adults only sticky and download the manual for whatever year engine you have. It has all the specs in it.

betayv

hey don the engine is a 1984 228,all the filters are brand new.

Don S

Maybe the filters are new, but was there water in the old ones? if so was it in the carb? Or even worse, is there more water in your new filters.
Changing filters is not a cure for anything in the fuel system.
If it was full of water, you can bet your new one will be the same way. and if it was full of water when you changed it, then the carb is full and will not empty itself.

betayv

ohhh ok what can I do any ideas?. I thinking about putting some water remover on the gas?

Bondo

Staff member

ok what can I do any ideas?.

Ayuh,... Pull the Filters,+ dump 'em out into a container, Looking for Water....
Pull the Carb, take it appart, Looking for Water...
If you find Water,... Suck it up off the bottom of the tank...

betayv

hey I have a rochester 4 barrel carb and I just notice only one throad is spraying gas the other one nothing.

Don S

The two jets you see pumping are from the accelerator pump, it may be plugged up with water, do the back two barrels throttle plate open up under load at WOT and 2000 rpm?

betayv

yes don they open but like I said only 1 throad spray gas and angine die right up. how do I take the water out of the carburetor?

Bondo

Staff member

how do I take the water out of the carburetor?

Ayuh,... Tear it Apart,+ Rebuild it...

betayv

ok just what I imagine last time the carburetor was rebuilt was almost 3 years ago and the engine was without use for 1 year I guess time for a rebuild thanks.

betayv

hey 1 more questions from the fuel water separtor is a rubber line to the pump nad from the pump to the carb is a copper line without any filter in the middle the only filter is the one on the carburetor, I was thinking about replacing the copper line with rubber hose and use a inline filter betweee the pump and the carb, is a good idea or not what you guys think.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It is a requirement to have a metal line between the pump and the carb.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

An in line filter is not a good idea.

BUT - you can use marine rated A1 rubber line from the pump to the carb. The fittings have to be the appropriate type, but the line can be rubber.

A further note - if it is metal, simple copper tubing that is often used in household plumbing should not be used. It can cause more problems than it solves. The lengths of metal fuel line you can buy at any parts store can be bent and used. But avoid copper.

Don S

If you have a water seperating fuel filter, you do not need another filter between the pump and carb. If your water sep./filter is a 10 micron, you won't need any other filters. Those inline things are usually 30 micron or bigger. They catch the rocks, not the fine particles that clogs things up.

betayv

ok thanks again for the help I will leave the line the way it is, and is metal not copper, and I will send the carburetor out for service and I will replace again my fuel water separator.

Don S

Don't just replace the filter, empty it into a clear container and inspect the contents and see if there is water in it. If there is, they you MUST get the rest of the water out of the tank, or you will be filling it up again.

betayv

ok thanks don i will inspect the fuel separator as soon I take it out, and I will dump some water remover on the gas tank too and I will try to clean before I put everything back again.

Don S

I will dump some water remover on the gas tank too and I will try to clean before I put everything back again.

Worst possible thing you could try to do. You need to get the water out of the tank and find out why it got there. Bad oring on the cap? water on top of the tank leaking through sending unit gasket? Vent installed wrong. (found them all as reasons for a lot of water in the tank).