1971 60hp won't go into gear

NZ-Kevin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi folks, out on the boat today and when when we went to come home the engine wouldn't go into gear. There was not the usual "clunk" as I moved the lever forward, and the engine just revved without the prop turning. Can someone give me a brief outline of how the gear system works, and any suggestions as to most likely cause. I'm still waiting for my manual to arrive, but would like to get this fixed as soon as possible as the boat isn't usable until I fix it.

Thanks
Kevin

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1971 60hp won't go into gear

71 year, 60 HP. Got it.... what make?????? You say it does get throttle but no gears engage. Check cables that they move, check connections, operate the shifter manually at the engine to see if it's a control issue or an engine/drive unit issue. Keep narrowing the shifting down. It's possible something came loose in the shift mechanism. Hows the gear oil look?

Make has a lot to do with this... but lets get the oil condition first, then we'll work further once we know the make.

NZ-Kevin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry, thought I'd put this in the Johnson section. It's a Johnson, type 60ES71C. Do I get to the gear oil through the screws on the side of the lower housing?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Kevin, here's a good thread for you to read through on the subject. The motor involved is a '72 50hp, but it has the same gearbox & hydro-electric shift system. I'll also suggest that you do a search on threads in the Johnson & Evinrude section on hydro-electric systems. Come back to this thread if you still have questions.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=374650&highlight=hydro-electric

???

NZ-Kevin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, a very helpful thread indeed -particularly the electrical notes. I've just been and checked the electrics and it all seems OK. But when I turned the prop by hand the engine turned over -which says to me that it was in gear. Could the problem I had yesterday have been an intermittent electrical problem on the switch in the control? I'm going to take the control apart and have a look around.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

johnson has a two position switch in the controller, (not the push button switches.) the lever moves the switch. it could be corroded connections. put muffs on the motor and test it. also note that the exhaust coming thru the prop, will turn the prop.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The hydro-electric shift system requires hydraulic pressure to operate. That is created only when the engine is running. Merely moving the sift handle with the engine off, will do exactly what you experienced, since the gearbox "defaults" to forward.

???

NZ-Kevin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, I've taken the controller apart and it all looks fine (but the switch is a sealed unit that I couldn't take apart to check the connections). Attached water to the engine, switched on and it all works fine. Forward, neutral, reverse all functioning as they should.

This leaves me with a bigger problem, why didn't it do that yesterday in the middle of the sea? I started the motor several times and tried to move, but each time it didn't go anywhere. Is there anything in the drive to the prop that could work at low revs in fresh air but not transmit power under load in the sea -or was it an electrical glitch? Can anyone point me to a supplier for a new switch for the control unit (or a part number I can use to trace one). If it was an electrical problem this seems the most likely cause, so probably best to change the switch to be on the safe side.

If stuck in this position at sea again would just disconnecting the wires lock it in forward drive? (will it start in gear).