Teleflex steering from older bayliner

um0RION

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey, my steering cables in my bayliner were frozen up when I bought it, and ive been trying to free them up for a while. Its a rack steering system, from teleflex. I tried hooking this up to a compressor with seafoam being pushed into the cable, and at 120psi for 3 or 4 weekends, the cable made progress, but didnt ever have any fluid at all coming out from the helm at all, even at 120psi. So basically, Im facing the prospect of replacing the cable entirely and forgetting trying to recover it.

My question is, Ive found that I can replace the original cable (SSC12415) with the same cable new for $95. This would work fine... Or, I could grab something like the SS14115 kit which has the hub in there also, for $15 more. Would that kit fit? Any concerns about the cable going through the tilt tube, or engine size, or?

Should I:
1) keep trying to lube up the cable I have now
2) Buy an exact replacement for the cable I have
3) Buy a newer rack kit with a new helm and replace the whole thing entirely

A lot of questions I know, but Id like to get this out of the way ASAP so I can get on with other projects. Let me know what you think!

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Teleflex steering from older bayliner

Having had the same issue to deal with years ago with my Sea Ray I decided to go with the entire unit. The new steering wheel bezel was a different size so I had to cut more of a hole. STILL I suggest you do the same, old cables get "glued" up with old lubricant as does the steering rack or Teleflex type cable boxes. So while you're at it, change out the whole system. Doing that job twice doesn't make sense for $15 bucks.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Option #3 is the Only right answer...

um0RION

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yup, I think you guys are right. Between buying just a new cable, and buying the whole setup for $15 more, there was no competition... and the cable I have now will likely just waste my time trying to fix it, so I went ahead and bought the rack system for $115 shipped. Ill be able to unbolt the old one, then just slap the new one in in a couple hours, and Ill have a setup that will last me another 20 years.

Thanks for your input guys, I just needed a little push from the members :)

um0RION

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow so... I bought a new steering kit, and that's been the least painful part of this whole experience.

I had previously removed the motor, and took the cable out of the tilt tube. There is a rubber boot where all the cables go through to enter the hull, and since I didnt want to pull out every single hose or wire out of it first, I cut it, and removed it from around the cables. Thats fine, I dont mind it. So then with a LOT of pushing, pulling, and cursing, I managed to get the steering cable out of the boat.

As for the helm, thats a comPLETELY different matter. It looks like I need to unbolt the plywood under the driver window, so that I can pry back the wood enough for me to remove the whole dash, because the 2 bolts go right through it. The reason Im having to do that is because the helm is bolted to a glassed sheet of plywood, under the dash plastic. I have to remove the whole thing to get at the last bolt, and to put the new helm in place. Basically Im looking at dismantling a lof of stuff, and just barely being able to do what I want. I thought this would have been a lot easier than this. I did manage to save the steering wheel though, so that was a small plus. We'll see what happens tomorrow, its supposed to be 55-60 here (northern Maine, haha!) and hopefully Ill get it mostly in. Cross your fingers.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Regarding where to get a new cable assy, I bought mine thru ebay from a seller in Oregon. Great prices, fast shipping and will answer any questions you may have. Thru-out the years, I've replaced cables on two different boats and bought both from the same seller.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Bummer that you're having so much difficulty. I replaced the cable/pulley system in my last boat with a rack and found it to be a pretty easy upgrade. However, everything was pretty accessible. I'd also like to know where you got a new system for that price.

um0RION

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bummer that you're having so much difficulty. I replaced the cable/pulley system in my last boat with a rack and found it to be a pretty easy upgrade. However, everything was pretty accessible. I'd also like to know where you got a new system for that price.

I went on ebay, and found a seller selling one new. "Bryan Outboard, Inc." It was 106.95 for the item, and $18 shipping, but I used MS Bing cashback to get 8% off. The item was the 15' cable and hub. Here's the item number for those of you who want to buy the same thing, or find other stuff he has available...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e....ebay.com:80/260501327634_W0QQfviZ1&viewitem=

um0RION

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok well I got the whole thing installed. I had NO idea about how I should have really done this, so I went about it wrong yesterday. Today I discovered how the windshields come apart, so I found that out, then the rest was smooth sailing. I pulled the old hub out no problem, and the new hub went in perfect. Its angled a little weird, but I can fix that later. The important thing is that I managed to get the cable in place, and managed to get the business end of the cable out the very small hole back by the motor. I left most of the cables hooked up, so it was a little tough.

All said and done though, I got the old hub removed, new hub installed, and the cable installed and ran, and all I need to do now is get the cable through the tilt tube, which Ill do tomorrow. Total work time today was an hour and a half, and I got my new AFI horn installed too. Things are looking up :)