plywood for floor

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer
i want to redo my floor with 3/4 . if am going to use resin can i use regular plywood. I have seen treated plywood and marine plywood used what are the differences. i thought you weren't supposed to use p/t wood on a aluminum boat.

bananaboater

Ensign
Re: plywood for floor

PT has copper compounds that do not interact well with aluminum.

Lots of folks that first considered 3/4 went with 5/8 or even 1/2 depending on supports. Lots of threads on this.

Albert

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I personally went with 3/4" exterior ply sealed with epoxy resin. I added some fiberglass cloth to the seams.

bigskiohio

3/4 exterior is what i thought , i looked for other threads but the info is so buried it is quicker to just repost , i was going to make some corn hole boards with it too so i will pickup a couple extra sheets. I dont want the thinner stuff as a solid feel is what i am after as the guy i bought boat from said he just redid the floor with marine grade but it must be 1/2" as it flexes some and i am not getting smaller and i want my seat mounts to be solid. How many sheets for 18 ft ss, i will glass the seams too.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

4 sheets. As I said, I went with exterior grade. North Beach went with marine. The exterior grade I got at Lowes had a good number of voids and really soaked up resin like a sponge. By the time it was all said and done, I used just shy of 3 gallons of resin doing 2 coats on the tops and bottoms. He used like a quarter of that. So what I saved on plywood I spent on resin. Of course the way I look at it I practically have a composite deck now :p Just something to consider.

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just got my plywood also (original was 1/2 inch), went with 3/4 inch ACX paid big $$ for a 5 x 10 so I could do it in in just two pieces. The bow piece was cut from a 4'x4' sheet from Menards. Resin sealed it today (I hate working w/ resin). Much more solid feel to it when I test fitted after cutting.

The my original floor plywood was stamped A-C on the back (I should photo this and post it I don't think its marine). Whatever it was it lasted 44 years as just plain plywood with vinyl flooring over it.

100_1814.jpg
[/IMG]
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=364174&highlight=nassau

North Beach

Commander

Big Sky,

You can use whatever you want. My argument is that the marine plywood is much better made that the cdx or exterior grade stuff. There are no voids, it's a minimum 5 plys making it stronger and the glue used to laminate the plies is waterproof. That coupled with the smaller amount of resin needed makes sense to me. I keep telling everyone that I installed the foam tight to the top of the stringers (that's what I call em) and went back with the 1/2" which was what came stock, sealed it with resin and did a layer of fabric and two layers of resin on top and I don't have any weak spot issues.

Remember, if you have side panels, you'll need to adjust the height if you remove 1/2" and go back with 3/4".

bigskiohio

nothing is ever easy ,i will have to price everything out but i am leaning towards north beach' s. Did you pour foam i dont remember. i will have to go to your thread and slobber over it again.I have side panels with tucked vinyl so 1/2" might be the way i have to go . I plan on pulling motor and floor and flipping boat and repaint of boat and trailer. Will start maybe next week and hit it hard for a week as i am curently out of a job of 19 yrs
and starting over. but i need it ready to go by april as walleye
run starts and want to try maumee bay . i am going to put in pedestal seats so i need to figure that out ,should i epoxy more plywood on the underside where the bases go, do they screw down or bolt down?

North Beach

Commander

I would suggest some aluminum sheet under where the seat pedastals are going to be located. I used the pedastal fastening system from cabelas on mine. Drill hole, insert fastener receiver, pull up, break off plastic, and insert fastener. They worked out great.

I used the sheet insulation (extruded pink or blue board).

bigskiohio

i just went over your thread and man that made me tired just looking thru alll that work . My schedule will have to be reexamined.
I wont be rebuilding as you did just remove and replace. How did that flooring work out? You have to be the best bank of knowledge
for atotal redo i would try it but i dont want to be without a boat this summer. How long did take you start to finish? I had no luck finding the fasteners on the web , did you order or buy in store??

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

4 sheets. As I said, I went with exterior grade. North Beach went with marine. The exterior grade I got at Lowes had a good number of voids and really soaked up resin like a sponge. By the time it was all said and done, I used just shy of 3 gallons of resin doing 2 coats on the tops and bottoms. He used like a quarter of that. So what I saved on plywood I spent on resin. Of course the way I look at it I practically have a composite deck now :p Just something to consider.

Just some food for thought, i think the quality of the resin maybe at play here. I coated 3 sheets of plywood ( same plywood ez had) using two coats of resin per-side only took a half gallon of resin. I was using West System resin, i think the viscosity of the resin is the differentiating factor in the absorption .

T

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ok now I officially hate that resin and won't recommend it to anyone. Tim you think you'll have enough left to do my transom? I'll happily compensate you. I don't want to have to order more just to do that.