Help! Need ideas

fishmaster2150

Recruit
Bad news! I just found out that my outboard siezed up on me. Here's the deal: 2001 merc 150 saltwater model. Last time out it ran fine, brought it home flushed it out on the water hose, it ran fine. Killed it. Tried to start it again after about 2 months. Nothing, just the starter clicking.

Charged batteries, checked coltage, had starter rebuilt. Still nothing. I removed the plugs, put a ratchet on the flywheel nut and used about a 3 ft. prybar. Nothing. She is frozen solid!

Boat mechanic said I must have severley overheated it because he saw rust on spark plugs and top of pistons. How could this be the thermostat horn never went off and I really doubt it would still be running if it had water in the cylinders. It is a 2 stroke, so I would think the cylinders should stay coated with a little bit of oil after each use. Any ideas????? I'd hate to buy a new powerhead for this thing right now. Money is a little tight.

If worst comes to worst, what are my options?

Can I buy a powerhead that is off of a 20" shaft motor (mine is a 25" shaft)?
Can I mount a 200 hp merc powerhead to my foot?
About how much does it cost to have an outboard rebuilt?

Please help! Any advice is appreciated. :confused:

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help! Need ideas

Check the cylinder pressure

sschefer

Rear Admiral

If the engine is frozen solid and won't turn over with a cheater bar on the flywheel, STOP, go no further. Since you can't do a compression test, you must pull the heads. Sounds to me like you either sucked up a reed or broke a ring.

Whatever you do, do not continue to try to rotate the engine. You'll only increase the damage.

Can I buy a powerhead that is off of a 20" shaft motor (mine is a 25" shaft)? Yes
Can I mount a 200 hp merc powerhead to my foot? Yes
About how much does it cost to have an outboard rebuilt? 2000.00 - 3000.00 Depending on the season and quailty of parts used

achris

More fish than mountain goat

As sschefer said, pull the heads off and have a look at the cylinders... It may (however unlikely) be something easy to fix. If it does need a rebuild, pulling the heads now certainly won't hurt anything (just don't loose any bits!).

Chris............

huntin dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First thing I would try is to fill the cylinders with liquid wrench and let it sit for a week or two. If it don't free up then I'd pull the head.
Try the easy stuff first.

HD