225 EFI compared to E-tec 225HO

ACAMACIAN

Seaman
I tried to post this in another category but it wouldn't let me.
I have a 2003 Mercury 225efi and was looking at buying an 2007 etec 225HO
How much more power would this motor actually give me and am I better off buying a 250hp motor. My Merc works good but I would like a little more power.

THE ACAMACIAN

muskrat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 225 EFI compared to E-tec 225HO

What kind of boat & shaft lenght.Not going to see much difference in the to.Go with a 250 or 300 hp.

ACAMACIAN

Seaman

The boat is a 21ft Javelin fish and ski and rated for a 240hp. The motor is a 20". The boat is fairly heavy and I use it for tournaments also so looking for a little more speed. I keep hearing people around here bragging up their e-tecs on the power and fuel consumption.
I thougth the HO would give me a little extra. Unfortunately the motor I was looking at sold before I could get a chance to go see it.

" THE ACAMACIAN "

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

225HP is 225HP, ACAMACIAN.

A ETEC will give you improved fuel usage and reduced emissions.

How fast you can go depends a lot more on perfected propping, rigging and trimming than a few HP.

250HP would overpower your boat and might get you disqualified from some tourneys.

ACAMACIAN

Seaman

I was thinking the high output would give me a little more.
And you are right about getting more speed, I know I haven't found the right setup yet for my boat.

Acamacian

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If its the true F/S model(wrap around walk thru windsheilds) its is nose heavy!! If the Bass model with ski pole your ok. The Javlin boats like a jack plate(I have a 10" on mine) and fine tuning with props. If you fish and ski just play with prop to get the best performance, if you only fish that different:D a plate,trim extenders and props can wake that boat up. Depending on your serial # you may be able to make your 225 a 250 as some models use same engine block and PCM is only difference between them.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The stock E-Tec HO will outperform the stock Merc in many areas. Will it perform as well as an identically configured 250. On the bottom end yes, on the top end, if the Merc is properly propped and the boat setup correctly it would be really close.

If you watch all the E-Tech videos of them beating the Merc's and Yami's the showed top end over the Yami's and bottom end over the Merc's. Both the E-Tec and the Merc 225's have a highly sustainable max rated RPM when setup correctly. In otherwords, they are still making good HP in the 5000-6000 RPM range. The extra 25 hp with a standard 250 is not going to give you much except a lighter wallet.

ACAMACIAN

Seaman

I do have the true F/S Javelin and you are right it is nose heavy. I have a 6" jackplate and maybe it is not enough. Last summer I was running a 25 pitch tempest and going about 55mph gps. I had it going 65mph at one point but can't find that sweet spot again. I took it to my mechanic to check it out but he said it was running properly. I just bought a 27 pitch tempest prop on ebay and hoping I can get a better setup with this. I could get 6000rpms on the 25 pitch so I figured the higher pitch may help.
I will admit I am having a hard time getting it set up properly. I took some friends advice last year and I believe I made it worse.
How would I go about finding out if my motor can be changed to a 250hp, where do I check the serial number?

Can't wait for spring to get back out on the water!!!!

ACAMACIAN