71' 60hp lower unit trouble

Bomber15

Recruit
Yall,
I've got the Johnson 60ESL-71C motor, and I have one or two problems I would like your opinions on.

Problems: No reverse, and pink milky fluid.

What I know already:
The long shaft is worn and leaks when pressure checked at 12lbs and rotated by hand. No other visible leaks.

Solenoids ohm out correctly.

I'm using ATF that the boat shop reccomended.

I re-sealed the LU twice.

So, do you guys think the water leak is the only problem I have?

Is it common for the Hydraulic pumps to wear out?

I would appriciate any tips you can give me.-Thanks

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 71' 60hp lower unit trouble

you're using ATF???????

sounds to me like you've blown out your reverse gear and sucking in water into your lower case!

ATF??????:eek:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Nowhere in your story do I see where you said you checked the voltages at the blue and green wires. That, and the oil check, should be the FIRST thing to check. With the wires still connected, you should get battery voltage on BOTH the blue and green wires when in reverse. If you don't, you probably have a bad shift switch. But could also be a busted wire.

Don't be worrying about oil pumps and stuff till you have first checked the simple stuff.

Bomber15

Recruit

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Voltage checks tested correctly. What's the fluid like that goes in there, is it thick? Could I be leaking just because I'm using ATF?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Voltage checks tested correctly. What's the fluid like that goes in there, is it thick? Could I be leaking just because I'm using ATF?

ATF was approved for emergency use. The Premium Blend isn't much thicker. I'm not smart enough to know the true viscosity. However, viscosity can make a difference in the shifting to neutral and reverse. Depends on how much leakage there is in the fit of the piston and oil pump.

Bomber15

Recruit

So, if viscosity could makea difference in shifting into reverse then its possible the fluid leak could be my only problem?

I figured if that were the only problem it would at least shift into reverse comming off the trailer.

Is there a way to test thethe fluid pump?

What are the notches on the reverse gear supposed to look like where it engages with clutch dog? Mine are square on one side and tapered on the other.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

So, if viscosity could makea difference in shifting into reverse then its possible the fluid leak could be my only problem?

I figured if that were the only problem it would at least shift into reverse comming off the trailer.

Is there a way to test thethe fluid pump?

What are the notches on the reverse gear supposed to look like where it engages with clutch dog? Mine are square on one side and tapered on the other.

Sounds like you must already have it apart?? I believe the dog is supposed to have square edges on both ends. But it has been a lot of years since I've looked at one.

So, when you try to shift to reverse, does it make noise? That would go along with a worn out dog and gear.

Bomber15

Recruit

Its not apart at the moment but it has been several times. I've been working on this problem for a while. I even had some machinists look at the drive shaft.
There isin't a noise that that is obvious when when going into reverse, it just revs up and dosen't go anywhere.
I do remeber a time when I let a rookie friend drive it and he slammed it from forward into full throttle reverse to try to avoid hitting somthing. i don't remember if I lost reverse that day or another day, but I hear that can damage those dogs.

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would eliminate the ATF by draining it completely and then filling it with the proper oil. This may show you a couple of issues: 1. If it goes into reverse, you may have a pump that is starting to go out, since the proper lower unit oil is thicker! 2. It may rule out the oil if it doesn't start to go into reverse.

This may take part of the headache out completely. You may also look at the adjustments/timing of the controls and the shifting at the motor.......