running problems after repair

parrisw

Ensign
I just deleted the VRO pump and put in a convention fuel pump, as well as put in a water seperating filter, replaced the thermostats. Now I just ran it, and its really not happy, seems like its missing on 1 maybe 2 cylinders, it will clear then run good for a few seconds then run bad again, and die, will start right back up.

parrisw

Ensign
Re: running problems after repair

Ok this is wierd , I borrowed my inlaws box he has to run the motor in now I checked compression, 3 are at 120, 1 is at 110. Ran it again and it runs fine???

Another question? How hot should the heads get?? After idling for a few minutes I can hold my fingers on it for about 4 seconds.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Three count is good whenever the engine is running, longer risks a third degree burn.

parrisw

Ensign

Three count is good whenever the engine is running, longer risks a third degree burn.

Ok thanks allot. That puts my mind at ease, I was worried, the overheat alarm went off last time I ran it on muffs. That's why I did t-stats.

Maybe it was air in the lines causing the running issue.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Ok thanks allot. That puts my mind at ease, I was worried, the overheat alarm went off last time I ran it on muffs. That's why I did t-stats.

Maybe it was air in the lines causing the running issue.

Did you change out the impeller ????
If it has not been done for a couple of seasons then i would do it.

FZ1

Seaman Apprentice

No offence to your mechanical abilities..... But let me share a short story. I have a '72 Johnson 40 in my garage that I've replaced the head on (previous gorilla stripped a spark plug hole) and refreshed with carb cleaning, lower unit service, plugs, coils, wires etc. Its on a Grew 140ss of the same year that needed all new rewiring and controls and interior. Basically a whole Winter's worth of project boat.

After all this work I was attempting to fire it up today. While priming the tank it made a really weird sound. 2 minutes later as I looked at the fuel line that i had pieced together.....

THE DAM BULB WAS INSTALLED IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!!!!

LOL hope your problem is as easy (and embarrassing) to fix as mine was today :)

Cheers.

Grant