Anyone into RC?

waterinthefuel

Commander
When I was a kid I started into RC with an old beat up Tamiya Hornet bought second hand from my uncle. I ran the tires off of that thing. Then I moved up and got a Losi Junior 2. I loved that little car and ran the snot out of it. Then I gave it to my dad and got a JRX-pro. Awesome car. I ran it for a few years until me and my father each got a Duratrax Evader EP. Nice truck, very good performance. We still have these and I would like to get them running again soon. It wouldn't take much at all. Charging some batteries!

Then my neighbor got me into RC planes and taught me how to fly. I flew an old ugly stick plane for a while until my uncle got me to ditch it and get a balsa stick plane. That thing was awesome and I flew it until I built an Extra 300. That was great but I ignored the CG and it crashed on takeoff. So I then built a little Ultra Sport 40 which I flew for a long time and it flew really good. I got tired of flying it after several years and built a profile p-51 mustang. It flew really well until the tank came off in flight. I landed it and put it away for years. About a month ago I got it back out, bought a new battery for it, didn't charge it long enough and proceeded to crash the hell out of it after the battery died.

A buddy of mine from the mechanic school got me into electric helis. So I bought a brand new Eflite Blade CP pro 2. I am just now learning how to fly it, its way way way different than anything I flew before. Its basically like you have to re-learn RC flight again. Hovering takes a long time to learn how to do well, then you have to learn how to hover FACING YOU, which is a whole 'nother learning curve all over again. I can fly it around decently and hover facing me ok, but not well. I've had it since December and it's by far the hardest thing I've ever flown.

My most recent purchase, since I don't have anywhere to build another RC plane, I bought a Tower Hobbies Uproar ARF. I've always been against ARF's in the past because of their poor build quality and difficulty of repairing the covering they're covered with. Well I guess they got better because I can see this little plane is built really well with few if any real flaws. Its covered in easy-to-repair normal covering. It only weighs 3.5lbs and its rated for a .46 engine which produces 1.5hp. That's a hell of a power to weight ratio so this plane should be able to do unlimited vertical. I'm currently putting it together and it might be done for next weekend.

Oh yea, at various times interspersed in there I was into electric and nitro powered RC boats too, which I still have. I even have an airboat!

Anyone else into RC?

Edit: For those who don't know, ARF means almost ready to fly. Meaning it comes prebuilt and precovered, but you have to glue the tail surfaces together and either mount or glue the wing to the plane. It also requires a radio and engine (or if electric, a motor). All the rest of my planes except the balsa stick plane were kits I built completely from the ground up. They took about 3 months each.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: Anyone into RC?

First of all, you need to post up some pix of your toys.:) Sounds like you have/had some cool stuff. That mustang must have been a blast.
I'm into nitro boats. Just got back into them after about 25 years(my wife isn't too happy with my brother. He got me back into it..). I have the original Dumas Hotshot w/3.5 outboard. Was b/4 they started building the picklefork versions. Dumas only makes kits now as orders come in. I think boating is done now mainly on the west coast. I'm currently building an old Dumas Quickie 40 with a K&B 7.5cc inboard. I recently purchased a Aqua Craft VS-1 that runs a 3.5cc outboard. See pic. It's an ARR. I too never thought I'd by an ARR, but they seem to be built well these days. Still need to purchase 2 more radios for the boats I'm building. As you know, it's not a cheap hobby...
VS1.jpg

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lets see here- my childhood buddy had a Tamiya Frog - I just had to get one! Dad took me to the hobby shop, me rubbing my two nickles together the whole way.

Nice lady shop owner let me run a Sand Scorcher in the shop, promptly wrecked it into a wall. :eek: Ended up paying for the repair, which left me short for what I really wanted which was the Frog. Should have gotten the Sand Scorcher, they are really collectible.

So it began:
Cars/Tucks/Buggies

Tamiya Frog
Associated rc-10 x 2 (1 indoor racer, 1 beater)
Associated rc-12
Kyosho buggy ( one of the first 4wd)
Another rc-10
Scratch built a couple carpet racers
HPI RS4 electric 4wd on road car
HPI nitro 4wd Rally on/off road truck-2 speed tranny- FAST!
Kyosho Inferno mp-6 1/8 scale buggy- Wicked ankle breaker!( lots of fun at construction sites) Every time I run it it costs 30 in parts. Darn curbs!

Boats:
Katja electic from Holland- lemans 360 pt motor
Nitro airboat ( bumble-bee motor) - buggered that up as my first kit boat at the age of 10!
Scratch built nitro tunnel 28, 3.5 cc . Never cornered well, always hooked.:(
Prather Nitro deep vee 30, overpowered w/ a 7.5:D
Mini-cat electric tunnel- for da river in my back yard!
Cheap-o electric Fighter 550 w/ a surface-piercing prop- really fun!

Planes:
Electric arf Fokker park flyer- gave it to my friend after too much frustration.
Electric rtf goofbal plane. gave that to same friend. he hates me now.

Radios: too many to count. Futaba and Airtronics

Now, where is that starter box? Got the itch to fire up the buggy now.....

Those e-flite choppers are really cool. They are the next on the list.

zach103

Commander

i have an electric dodge viper.. but im looking at changing the body to a ford mustang.. thing went pretty fast.. i also have a plane but its dismantaled and all over the house.. one da ill fix it up and try and fly it again

waterinthefuel

Commander

The Hornet that started it all:

T-TAM57741-lg.jpg

The little Evader:

base_media

The extra 300 that lasted 1 flight:

gpma0235b.jpg

Here is the profile p-51 that recently met its demise:

towa5010.jpg

The most recent purchase:

towa2054_500.jpg

And here is my helicopter:

E-flite_Blade_CP_Pro2_RTF_Electric_Micro_Helicopter.jpg

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Boating actually led me to try R/C.
One day I was anchored in a cove off the Chesapeake Bay and I saw another boat playing with a R/C speedboat. The whole idea intrigued me, so I researched them and decided to order a Traxxis NitroVee from Tower Hobbies.
When it arrived I was completely dissatisfied with its quality (cheap, thin plastic hull, etc) so I promptly returned it and found a used gas catamaran on ebay. I fooled with it for the better part of a summer before getting frustrated and selling it.
The next spring I discovered Enforcer R/C boats. The Enforcers had MUCH better construction- hand-laid fiberglass hulls, real GAS engines (Homelite weedwackers, no less!) and a reliable 30 MPH out of the box. I ordered a red "Sport" and couldn't believe how much fun these things were!! It would run 30-40 minutes on a tank of pre-mix and even idle smoothly (with a centrifigal clutch). I used it a few times at a local pond before bringing it to the Bay. It was quickly determined that ONE boat wasn't enough, so I found another Enforcer on ebay so we could R A C E each other. It's yellow with the optional "race hatch" and tuned pipe.
Here's a few shots:
red1.jpg

yellow1.jpg

yellow2.jpg

This one's my favorite. I call it 'Early Morning at the Pond':
redatrest.jpg

waterinthefuel

Commander

Here is my gas powered boat. This boat was white when new, but mine turned yellow just like this one and it's been in a closet for about 8 years!
jet_stream_009a_202.jpg

I couldn't find a photo of my airboat.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Back in the early 90's I played around with 4 wheel dr 10th scale electrics, toooo expensive to stay competitive for this po boy.
This was my last, belt driven by shcumacher{spelling?} lotta fun though!
4wheeldrrc.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Airplanes
7 different slope gliders
2 electric wings
3 power planes

Cars
T-Maxx RC gas Truck
Associated RC-10 gas

Sailboats
1M ODOM
1M Soling

odom.jpg

kei9th

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dont buy that crappy airplane boat thing it dosent fly at all it mostly glides through the air for a few feet. if there is the slightest wind it wont do anything. i paid like 60 bucks when it first came out and was very disappointed. i used to have a associated rc10gt gas stadium truck cost about $1500 put it together from scratch. the $1500 was for the kit radio and motor. i sold it to a buddy cause it seemed every time i drove it it cost about 50 dollars in repair. but it was fast like a rocket, and every child and father came out to watch it run. everyone wants to take a turn driving it and get mad when you say no. but if you crash my rc into a pole it will cost me another hundred to fix. been thinking about getting into electric rc with these new lipos long run time quick charge.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

dont buy that crappy airplane boat thing it dosent fly at all it mostly glides through the air for a few feet. if there is the slightest wind it wont do anything. i paid like 60 bucks when it first came out and was very disappointed.

I wonder in the vid if they used a bigger motor. Looked like it was flying around pretty good.....

kei9th

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you cant hold them in your hand and throw them then fly, you have to be full throttle then take off. the guy i worked with was a rc plane nut and put two johnson motors and changed the receiver and all electronics. after that i preformed like the commercial that used to be on tv. it mostly flies like a paper airplane. it goes up then swoops down goes up a little then swoops down. i just watched the whole video and that is not a stock off the shelf airplane/boat.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I fly my planes up at El Mirage near Victorville in CA. They also test the Predator there. At times, the predator comes by fairly low and I have to move my planes while I am flying out of the way so they don't get hit by it.