Is this to much motor?

gtownky

Seaman
I have an older harris pontoon boat it is a 30 footer. I am thinking of purchasing a 175hp evinrude for it. Is this to much motor?

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is this to much motor?

I'm going to take a guess and say yes. That's alot of engine to be hanging. I'm betting the transom isn't built for that heavy of an engine. Is there not an hp rating posted somewhere on the boat?

gtownky

Seaman

No, I looked all over for a plate when I rebuilt the boat. I had to apply for a home made title. I really trying to figure out what the weight differance is between a 85hp and 175hp evinrude. Im not so sure that their is a big differance. But I dont know so I thought I better figure this out.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think you may be ok on a 30 footer but I would contact Harris if they are still in business. If not, gather pertinent info from the boat such as transom construction and pontoon sizes, and contact the service department from other manufacturers for their advice.

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pontoons are funny, how fast can that really push one? 40?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

There are "toons" and there are "toons." I've seen modern tri-toons that can handle that much weight/power and more. These are also boats that have strakes on the toons that make them plane more like a conventional hull. Most importantly, these boats are fully controllable at higher speeds.

Since your boat is much older, none of what I just mentioned is most likely the case. Whether the proposed 175 is too much for it, I don't know, but I would do a lot of homework, before I tried it. You might be able to do enough research to find out what your boat is rated for. You might also be able to find out how hp rating was determined for toons that are designed like yours and use the same materials. You might even contact the Coast Guard to find out how you should rate it, now that it is being considered a home made boat.

Let us kknow how you make out.

???

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

30 footer would not have a max rated placard. i have a 1977 140hp Rude on my 20 footer. 37 mph, just me wot. i do not run it that fast, but it is nice to have the power when you are loaded.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

weight could vary by the year but a 1980 85 is about 306lbs, a 175 about 410.
I wouldn't worry so much about the weight as the hp. 175 is obviously more than double. I would think a 30 footer would be rated for more than the 85.
Could only find a 28' Only found a rating for the I/O at about 125.
When considering more hp keep in mind a 175 will use about 17 gallons per hour(gph) at wide open throttle(wot)
The 85 about 1/2 that.Of course if you ran a 175 at the 85s speed it would be loafing
and use about the same fuel.I'm all for more power its more restfull for the motor.Especially on a pontoon.

Last edited:

brumbyvet

Seaman Apprentice

I've seen some of the older Harris float boats on our lake but i've never seen one with more than a 115 on it. Like the others have said, with the older technology your not going to benefit much with the larger motor.

gtownky

Seaman

Thanks guys, I went and looked at the motor. Didnt care for the way the guy was acting and he didnt want to put muff and start it. So Im gonna go look at a boat and a85hp motor in the morning. Again thanks for your help.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Thanks guys, I went and looked at the motor. Didnt care for the way the guy was acting and he didnt want to put muff and start it. So Im gonna go look at a boat and a85hp motor in the morning. Again thanks for your help.

Good for you. Sounds like a wise choice.

boatmor

Seaman Apprentice

BAD IDEA! The Harris boats are the weakest built boats I've seen and I have had 4 of them in less than a year-I sold all of them for pond use. Your logs are likely 19 inch which is too small for most use and would probably be underwater but the main issue is the construction. If you will compare your transom/motor pod with other boats you will probably find that yours is smaller. The logs are not strongly connected to the frame work and lots of the time are already showing cracks and broken welds at the joints.

I don't like to talk bad about anything, especially peoples boats but you asked the question and I know the answer from experience.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

How fast do ya wanna go? We have a tri toon in the shop now with a 496 Mag for power. They also offer it with a 525 and a 600SC.