1968 Johnson 65 hp v4 - water pump

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Having a problem removing the lower unit to inspect the water pump for possible replacement.

Was able to remove outside and inside doors to remove lower screw on shaft. Soaked 8 bolts with penatrating oil and got 5 out clean, but 3 bolts snapped at the thread line about 3/8" from top of bolt. So, I have 3 threaded studs remaining that are holding is holding the lower unit to the motor.

Is it possible the lower unit can be removed in this condition, then back out the broken bolts/studs?

I plan on replacing the hardware once I button this back together.

Thanks

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1968 Johnson 65 hp v4 - water pump

If the heads of the bolts are broken off, the L/U should still drop down. Once off, soak those old bolts well with penetrating oil and then use a vice-grip to remove them. If the L/U is still not dropping down, could be a stuck driveshaft or a stuck water tube. Also check the lower shift rod and make sure it is free from the coupler. Shift it to forward and see that it is out of the coupler.

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks.

I took you suggestion and was able to remove it. About 3/8 of the bolts remain. Soaking right now will try to back out soon.

After all that I pulled the water pump.

It looks old and crusty but the impeller is not too bad, the housing is badly pitted. So, most likely I will replace everthing with a complete water pump kit.

Should I check the bearing which sits below the WP as well?

Thanks again.

lindy46

Captain

As long as you've got the lower unit off, might as well check for seal leaks at the same time. I use a $30 pressure tester I got on Ebay. Drain lower unit. Is the oil milky or does water come out? Pump it up to about 10psi and see if it holds for 15 minutes. If it's leaking somewhere, spray dish soap solution on the seals and watch for bubbles. Most likely culprits are the prop shaft seal (fish line gets wrapped around) and shift rod seal. Make sure there are washers/seals on the drain/vent plugs.

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks.

Was able to back out the broken bolts with vise grips and I was able to purchase 8 new bolts at the local marine store.

Ran in to another problem. The bottom drain plug (large standard screw) is frozen solid. I was able to remove the top drain plug/screw.

It's pretty well worn and hopefully I won't have to drill it out.

What are my options here?

Thanks

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, I noticed the shift rod has a bend to it about 2-3 inches from the top. Is this normal?

Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Also, I noticed the shift rod has a bend to it about 2-3 inches from the top. Is this normal?

Thanks

Unless that lower unit has sat around with water in it forever, the drain screw isn't frozen. After all, the threads are immersed in oil. But it certainly might well be tight and buggered up. One or two whacks with an impact screwdriver will take it right out like magic. An impact screwdriver should be high on the list of priority tools for anybody working on outboards. It has a cam inside that rotates the blade when you whack it on the end with a hammer. The hammer blow also keeps the blade in the screw slot. It is reversable so it works to tighten screws too. Get them at Sears, Harbor Freight etc. Careful, some of them are junk.

The shift rod does have two bends in it so it clears the water pump. Second bend is down closer to where it exits the gearcase.

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. But already tried that with my HD craftsman driver and it broke my spade bit in pieces. At sears will replace it for free.

Forgot to mention the screw has been worn down to take the lines of the unit.

Also, when I tilt the lower unit I can see oil coming out of the top hole and it is milky like coffee w/milk.

Thanks

lindy46

Captain

Sometimes the impact driver will loosen it enough so a BIG screwdriver will get it out. The other option is to place a smaller screwdriver at an angle and hit it with a hammer. I've gotten them out that way - destroys the bolt head, but at least it's out. Did you soak it with penetrating oil beforehand?

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks.

Finally got it out with the impact driver. Bent the new slot bit, but got the sucker out!

Drained a good amout of milky oil/water and put the good screw back in the top hole and ran a pressure test 10psi and I do have a leak coming from the drive shaft when it exits the bearing cover.

Looks like I need to replace the seal on the shaft located right under the cover.

Anything else I should look at? I should be receiving the WP kit in the mail tomorrow or Saturday.

Thanks

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well nothing is easy on this project.

Went ahead and attempted to remove the gear case bearing cover and three of the four bolts snapped off on the first turn!!

Well looks like I may have to drill them out and tap the holes.

Not sure if I want to go any deeper in to this to avoid breaking more bolts.

Question: is there a chance the prop gears are worn or damaged because of the oil/water leak?

How do I check without taking it apart for an inspection?

Thanks