Evinrude 175 spark problems

johnnyfitz

Cadet
I have 2 175hp motors doing the same thing. They were sunk so we had them took to a dealer and cleaned.Worked fine for a while and started acting up .The motors go until they heat up and shut down and check for fire right away and there is none.I changed the stator on the engine and it went for awhile and started acting up again. I was told it could be the voltage regulator!!!Anyone know if that could be my problem.Could it be my power packs on both engines and if so is there a way i can test them before i buy 2 and that is not the problem.If that happens i will sink her for good LOL!!!!Would a bad coil make her shut off and have no spark at all.Any information would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!!!!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 175 spark problems

They have been making 175HP J/E motors since 1977 with many changes over the years; it would help us to help you if you gave us your model numbers.

johnnyfitz

Cadet

They have been making 175HP J/E motors since 1977 with many changes over the years; it would help us to help you if you gave us your model numbers.

They were sunk in salt water and they are 1991 and a 1993 .

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

It also could be in the harness,keyswitch or "kill" switch. I would cut the blk/yell wire just before the pack and install a male/female terminal, when it dies again uplug and see if it restarts, if so its a harness problem...