OMC flush mount control box removal

Bondo

Staff member
Re: OMC flush mount control box removal

Ayuh,... Got a picture Tom,..?? They've used more than 1...

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Is this the black control with the button in the center that releases for throttle only? Under the rubber button in the center should be a screw that holds the handle in place.
Post a pic of the control...It would really help.

I guess you figured it out though...:)

tendollar

Seaman

This is the flush mount OMC with fast idle button in middle. I will snap a pic as soon as snow quits, had to cover up boat. To remove the control handle you pull the rubber sleeve off the fast idle button, remove the screw and white button, put lever in full reverse and remove set screw pull off handle.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got a '88 OMC flush mount that will need to be removed so that I can replace the side panel. Pic would help me. Thanks

tendollar

Seaman

Still snowing here seon, I can walk you through it if you like given an 88 is the same as 93. If you look at the very bottom ( on your back looking up under) of your control handle 6 oclock position there will be a ( U ) shaped groove cut into the handle, When you put your control handle to full reverse that groove will now be in the 9 oclock position, there is an allen set screw in there pretty sure it was 3/32, 2-3 turns out should be enough to free the handle. now if you have fast idle control ( button in the center bottom of control handle just grab that rubber cup and peel it back toward you and off of the cap. There will be a philips screw holding the white cap on, remove it and the cap and pull the handle off the splines. To remove the control body from the panel pry off the black plastic trim piece ( 3 oclock position) in referance to the spline shaft where you just removed the handle and there will be 3 philips screws, remove them and you will be good to go. Any questions at all I will try and help.
Tom