5.0 BIII Impellar Replacement

jeffkil

Cadet
I have a 2006 300 Sea Ray Sundancer. It has 5.0L BIII, can the Sea Water Impallers be replaced with the boat in the water? There are no shutoffs, but I could probably pinch off the hose till I get the impellar or pump replaced. Opinions? Experiences?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.0 BIII Impellar Replacement

Sure, remove the inlet hose going to the pump and plug it. Fix the pump, put it back on.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... The waterpump they were talkin' about is an Engine mounted pump,....
It doesn't matter if the boat is floating, although precautions should be taken with the incoming water feed....

Ayuh,... I think that hose is 1",.... ;)

Don S

An old grease rag will work, if your bilge pump can't keep up with a minor leak, then you shouldn't have the boat in the water.

jeffkil

Cadet

Thanks, I'll widdle down a dowl rod and make a tapered stopper and do what you guys suggest. Only the one hose, or both? One is incoming water, and the other is from the engine, Right?

Now I need to identify the proper impellar from West Marine.............And hope they have one in stock!!

Don S

An engine serial number and your Mercruiser OEM dealer will get you the proper kit for your pump.

Bondo

Staff member

Only the one hose, or both? One is incoming water, and the other is from the engine, Right?

Ayuh,... The In-coming water hose will leak,..Profusely...
The hose To the motor will just drain abit....

Just make darn Sure ya get 'em back on the Right ports...

Don S

Not on Sunday!!

Since I don't know what pump you have either, do you have a SN handy? Boat year doesn't really mean engine year, and you could have a couple different pumps.

jeffkil

Cadet

OW619627 & OW619629

It took a few months to compile all the CORRECT part numbers for my 06 Four Winns, I guess this is where I start on this boat!!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If your old impeller has disintegrated, you could have fragments that have been sent "downstream" that could be clogging your power steering and/or oil coolers (if installed)

If that's the case, you'll need to retrieve those pieces or they could could cause overheats from poor flow through the raw water system. You know if there's pieces missing from the impeller that you remove.

Cheers,

Rick

jeffkil

Cadet

Well, that didn't fix the "Low H2O psi" warning. So it probably needs a new H2O sensor. Any idea where it is located, or the part number?

Don S

Well, that didn't fix the "Low H2O psi" warning.

Odd you never mentioned that before.

Maybe now would be a good time to explain what your problem really is.

All you asked is if you could change the impeller with the boat in the water.

jeffkil

Cadet

Sorry, explained to others and came to the same conclusion. Impellar.

Just bought the boat. 2006 300 Sundancer 5.0L, w/BIII, w/ 91 hrs, no history of 100 hr insp or impellers.
Sea Trialed fine, no problems.
Delivered, touched up the bottom paint, and put into the water. The PSI of the Starb eng went off. After the sea trial, I shot the risers with an IR gun, all 4 risers within 1 degree. Low hrs, lack of maintence, assumed Impellers, no peices missing, but had wear/grooves.