Proper Tow Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Proper Tow Vehicle

that size of boat you put in at start of season and pull it out at the end . have the marina put it in and take it out, lot cheaper then a new truck. Store it there too.

HappierWet

that size of boat you put in at start of season and pull it out at the end . have the marina put it in and take it out, lot cheaper then a new truck. Store it there too.

I don't want to HIJACK the OP's thread, but I gotta disagree with you on this one. I have friends and relative who routine twenty-eight feet and 32 feet simply to have access to different waters. With a proper tow vehicle and experience it's not that difficult. Now, as to leaving a boat in the water all season, and / or having a marina haul it and store it. First, Lots of people leave a boat in the water all season so in my opinion that's not problematic in and of itself. There are however the associated costs of leaving a boat in all season....ie bottom paint, powerwashing, and in the case of a marina, the cost of hauling and launching, as well as if there's no tow vehicle...Storage.

To me these costs will rapidly override the cost of a secondhand tow vehicle.

The other thing to consider....SOME of the older boats were made with polyeseter rein....I can't state this as fact, but my understanding is that they are more likely to develop blisters. That is a delamination of the layers of fiberglass.
Since the OP says that he is close to a ramp, I would suggest keeping it on a trailer, and getting an inexpensive secondhand tow vehicle.
:)

jaseegert2

Cadet

Looking at larger trucks, next question is 4x4 or will a 2 wheel drive get it out?

Maybe the other guys ^^^ are too gentle.

NO!! Do not tow that boat with that Jeep!! Do not launch that boat with that Jeep. Do not attempt to retrieve that boat with that Jeep.

We have just saved you from serious trouble and maybe even saved your life.

Hi, this may not be the best place for a 1st post, but THANK YOU for throwing PC out the window and telling it like it is.
Once I need to ask important and life impacting questions (mine and others) I hope you read them and answer like this when necessary!
Not trying to be funny, that picture tells the whole story.
LMJ

skargo

Banned

Looking at larger trucks, next question is 4x4 or will a 2 wheel drive get it out?

Where do you live? I personally wouldn't own a 2wd truck, only because it doesn't suit my needs. You can't get out of my driveway without 4wd when it snows. If you have no snow, and your ramp has a nice mellow grade then 2wd would suit you fine.

timmyjoebob

Seaman

From the recent post Im gathering that i should not tow the boat with the jeep. Any suggestions on what size pickup would be sufficient for this boat? Was looking at a 04 dodge ram 1500 hemi, any thoughts?

Why not start where you're supposed to? You're getting helpful (lifesaving) advice here.

First, try to (over)estimate the weight of your rig. Find out the specs of the boat. Find the weight. Start at their website or NADA. Add the trailer weight to that. You can nomrally get that at the trailer's manufacturer's website. Then add fuel weight, equipment weight, batteries, misc. (Another 600-800#). THEN start looking for a vehicle. Look at their websites for towing specs.

That's what a prudent, responsible adult would do. Do your due diligence. ;)

Towing only 1/8 mile? Here you go! (Hope this picture got attached.)

Attachments

• tow vehicle.jpg
    tow vehicle.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

for the distance you are going 3/4 ton 4x4 would do it..... half ton or jeep NO WAY... skip the 2 wheel drive.... I often pull my boats out with 2wheel drive but my deisel dually weighs 10,000 lbs where a gas engine 2wd reg cab is just over 4000 lbs.... I do sometimes need to use 4x4 when the ramp is wet and slimy. With a lighter duty gas engine you may not even have enough hp to pull that boat up a steeper ramp without lowrange 4x4.

If you have any desire to go any longer distances that boat is best towed with a 1 ton dually.

Also no matter what you get make sure you have heavy duty tires pref load range e but AT LEAST d...... def not c

lmannyr

No too get off topic here but that trailer looks TOO SMALL for that boat! Remedy that first!

And yes, get at least a 2500. 4X4 is ALWAYS a PLUS!!

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Eh, you know you are gonna try it. Be sure to make a video and post it up in "Stupid Human Tricks".:D

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

what do a bunch of pics of rear turbo installations have to do with this thread.......

BTW resize pics so they actually fit on the page:rolleyes:

skargo

Banned

what do a bunch of pics of rear turbo installations have to do with this thread.......

BTW resize pics so they actually fit on the page:rolleyes:

I agree on both points. Not THESE images make even me have to almost scroll.

And why are you showing your shop's trucks? :confused:
p.s. my diesel would eat both of those trucks for lunch :p

bekosh

Lieutenant

Definitely 3/4 ton plus territory there. Either a diesel or big block for engine. 2WD or 4WD? Depends on your budget and the ramps you use.

I just got a 94 Ford F250 SuperCab 8ft bed 2WD with a 460 gas big block for $2500. It would handle your boat easily.

EDIT: If you do buy a older truck to tow with, double check the hitch. I saw a lot of 3/4 ton trucks with 5000lb Class 3 hitches on them.:confused:

Attachments

• Truck1.jpg
    Truck1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just showing what we use to tow with, that's all and nothing more.

Sorry most other v-bulletin forum sites I post on automatically re-adjust the images to fit the page and then allow you to click on them to expand. Seeing this site seems the same forum as those sites, i thought it did the same here. Now I know it doesn't for future reference.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I actually thought the OP was kidding that he was actually thinking about using it.

actionljackson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How the heck did you get the boat to where it sits in the pic? Your asking for trouble and I bet you get it in the future.How fresh are you to boating?

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Been there done that...

Towing.jpg

Just kidding, we used the F150 to move it around in the yard as my F250 was hooked to the enclosed car trailer at the time. Having owned a GC Limited, I can assure you towing that load is NOT going to be easy or fun. Just towing my Mustang to the race track with mine was an adventure. Had the power, but these trucks are sprung very soft for comfort, and I wouldn't trust the brakes with that much weight.

You don't need a diesel for that load, as getting the boat moving is rarely the issue. You do however need a larger truck to keep the boat load under control.

Status
Not open for further replies.