Just purchased boat, not sure if jeep will it pull it up the ramp? Any thoughts

Attachments

• 13357_206197793808_698443808_2956741_3581594_n.jpg
    13357_206197793808_698443808_2956741_3581594_n.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 0

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Proper Tow Vehicle

If the jeep is the vehicle in the picture, it's not clear it would get it to the ramp.

Seriously, it looks like you have about a 10-12K towed load. Well above the capability of a "jeep"

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good Chance of getting wet there. I would be scared to pull it down the hwy. In a light rain that boat will push that Jeep through a stop and an intersection. I had a 84 Master Craft push an 85 Bonneville through one and believe me the pucker factor was off the scale. You need to go get a 3/4 ton vehicle for that big girl.

jaseegert2

Cadet

Was not planning on towing very far, the launch is about an 1/8 mile from where I live and speed limit is 25 the whole way. I think I might be putting a little to much faith in the little jeep though.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Maybe the other guys ^^^ are too gentle.

NO!! Do not tow that boat with that Jeep!! Do not launch that boat with that Jeep. Do not attempt to retrieve that boat with that Jeep.

We have just saved you from serious trouble and maybe even saved your life.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yea that is really the truth right there, dont do it.
That is 250 series truck territory all day at a minimum, find a guy with a good truck.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

The boat's too much "dead weight" for stability and stopping. In an emergency it could basically shove the Jeep out of the way and who knows what would happen after that.

I'd be afraid on a ramp too. Even with the parking brake on and with 4 wheel drive engaged I'd be afraid of the boat/trailer pulling the Jeep down the ramp...

Find a dirt cheap 1 ton dually.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe the other guys ^^^ are too gentle.

NO!! Do not tow that boat with that Jeep!! Do not launch that boat with that Jeep. Do not attempt to retrieve that boat with that Jeep.

We have just saved you from serious trouble and maybe even saved your life.

X2 You don't have to sugar coat it, JB.

jaseegert2

Cadet

From the recent post Im gathering that i should not tow the boat with the jeep. Any suggestions on what size pickup would be sufficient for this boat? Was looking at a 04 dodge ram 1500 hemi, any thoughts?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Determine the weight of the load to be towed....select tow vehicle with rated capacity to tow it. This is not that hard.

sidechoke67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Determine the weight of the load to be towed....select tow vehicle with rated capacity to tow it. This is not that hard.

Yea, don't guess - there are laws and ratings to answer your question. Stay inside of both...

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

Welcome Aboard...

Look online to find the specs on your boat. Take the weight of the boat seriously, add the weight capacity on the plate by the helm to this number, then add some percentage the that sum.....I usually go at least 10 percent ...NOW look for a vehicle with a tow capacity at or above that number.

To answer about the 1500 dodge.....I seriously doubt it.

At the very least a 2500 4x4 MIGHT do it.

Good luck and congrats on the boat

jaseegert2

Cadet

Think I might start looking for a 4x4 diesel. Will keep you posted, thanks for all the input. Might pull boat to ramp with future truck and take the jeep as well to see if it would make it up the ramp. Do jeeps float? Just kidding think I will find a truck.

cribber

Lieutenant

Like everyone above... You may get in the water with that jeep, but the likelihood of pulling it out... just can't see that happening.

skargo

Banned

Nice looking boat. What does it weigh? I know my diesel 2500 would pull it no problem, but I'm not sure it would be legal or not.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Not to be too far off topic.... How tall is that boat? Bridges may be an issue, hate to loose the arch at 55mph :)

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like I said I don't care if you only go 25 that jeep will get you in trouble trying to stop especially in a rain. 250 size and no smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.