26 ft cr251 Members First Post

Fanautical

Cadet
Re: 26 ft cr251 Members First Post

P1000528.jpg
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx162/fanautical/starcraft/P1000528.jpghttp://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx162/fanautical/starcraft/P1000530.jpghttp://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx162/fanautical/starcraft/P1000532.jpghttp://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx162/fanautical/starcraft/P1000533.jpg

Fanautical

Cadet

P1000531.jpg

P1000530.jpg

P1000528.jpg

These are some of my pictures. I'm still figuring out how to do this, but hopefully it gives an idea what I'm up against.

PKomrowski

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Be careful lightening it up to much, that weight helps the boat handle to a certain degree. Rolling it over will be very possible with what your talking about doing (the perfect storm would be almost empty fuel tanks no passengers, and some wind, with 2' waves, I believe you could easy put it on its side. Mine has scared me a few times, as these boats really handle and will turn sharp. There is a fine balance, I know that light weight is speed and low gas consumption, but it will ride high, very high. All that hight has to be figured into the width, they are not wide boats. I have a normal 350 260 hp in mine and the 1/2 inch plywood with vinyl floors, and lots of fishing gear, with a hard top full of heavy glass, so this hard top is a big wind block. In other words its heavy for this boat, not to heavy but when loaded with 4 to 6 people is within 800 to 600 pounds of its max over all weight capacity. The boat will still go 40 to 42 with real bad bottom paint, and with the bottom paint fixed with Ultralux Teflon stuff they recommended i expect almost 10mph more out of it. Now there is such a thing as a beer can with a motor effect you get with light boats and big horse power, its cool one time, neat twice then sucks after that. In any water other than flat, light weight is bad. I was going to replace my floor with alum (I even am a alum welder) but have changed my mind after using it a season. To lighten it 600 pound may be to much 300 would not be a big deal or even 400 but once you start to get over that, I would hope you put allot of people in it or the ride will be unpleasant. An alum stern is a bad idea for what you will get for your trouble, if you do built it make it much heavier than you think should, these motors torque hard on the stern believe it or not, if you have to put anything on it it will be a pain finding a solid spot to mount it, as much as i like alum I do like a good wood stern.

If you build it right with Marina plywood and paint and seal everything, you will never have to worry about it, so give your kids something to do in 40 years. Wood really soaks up allot of noise and vibrations that appear if its not there as well. I bet the difference between a wood floor and aluminum (I never figured it out, but if you have let me know) is less than 50 pounds for the whole boat. That's equal to the weight of 7 gal of fuel, so is it worth it? It will be a cool experiment but costly if it doesn't work out.

Have fun but be very safe the first few trip out.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

The way I see it, ther'es little force on the transom with an I/O. Make it as strong as the wood transom and you're good. That should be easy. How about Coosa board sandwiched between two pieces of aluminum. It will never rot.

Fanautical

Cadet

I'm still plugging away on the big girl. Between working 12 hrs a day and using my SS, I haven't accomplished as much as I had hoped. And I just picked up a '74 Holiday(last September). Most of the work I have done has been collecting what I think I need to finish. As far as the light weight affecting the stability, we'll see. I had a 21' Islander that would blow around like a leaf in a tornado, and was pounded like it owed money. But it was always stable. I suppose any boat can be dangerous under the right conditions. My main goal is to have boat that I can afford to operate without taking out a mortgage. All the weight being removed will hopefully lower my CG, be easier to tow, easier to launch and easier on fuel. One concession is I'm installing a 250 I6 mercruiser. The long, thin I6 puts more weight along the centerline of the hull and extends forward more than a V8. At roughly the same weight as a V8, I think it should add some stability although the reduction in power is big. The overall reduction in weight is around 300 to 400 lbs(from wood to aluminum), most of that above the CG. But time will tell

PKomrowski

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the 260 straight 6 version in my 21 foot chief, the one I made a dive boat out of. Its an amazing motor, starts amazing well, and runs like a sewing machine. You will have to adjust your outdrive gear ration or change your prop I'm sure. I would guess though your dropping 100 hp, it will make a huge performance difference, your dropping the weight should help some. I cant wait to hear what that will do for mph on your gps, as thats the real test. I personally love the small block Chevy and the HP that comes with it. Keep us updated your project is one of the coolest going on. I'm redoing the interior of my boat now.

Fanautical

Cadet

Had a warm day, so I untarped the boat to take some measurements inside. I think I have enough sheet aluminum to complete the project. Need plywood for the transom, sealer, etc. The size of the project is sinking in, but I hope I can splash her by July. The I6 is looking better all the time as gas hit $1.20 a liter up here. I can live with the lower speed if it means I can afford to go out more often.