2003 BF225 Burning Oil at Start Up

Primalurges

Cadet
Hi All,

Starboard engine shot out cloud of white smoke at start-up, definately burnt oil. Other than the start up smoke, engine seems to be idling and running fine and currently has about 600 hours. Checked dipstick and oil is within in about the middle of the indicated range (I've out about 12 hours since last oil change and notice oil level low before oil change). Let enginegrun out of gear at about 3000 rpm, a few minutes after start up and although smoke was not visible, there was still a faint smell of burnt oil. Any possible causes other than worn oil ring or valve stem guides? Do these engines have a PCV that may be stuck open? Thanks

gss036

Commander
Re: 2003 BF225 Burning Oil at Start Up

Oil burning gives off BLUE Smoke, not white. I think you probably have a moisture problem and the white smoke is steam burning off.

Primalurges

Cadet

Perhpas I could have done a better job of describing the smoke. It was a big cloud of blueish white smoke that smelled like burnt oil. Also, it was immediate from a cold start, not enough time for anything to get hot enough to produce steam. Also, I noticed substantially less oil in the pan on this engine when compared to the port engine.

joebob14

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It certainley sound like worn rings or valve guides to me. Try running about a quaurter cup of marvel mystery oil in the oil for a couple hours and about a half cup in your next tank of gas. Ive done this on boats bikes and cars and even though it smokes worse through that tank of gas it has never failed to fix a smoking engine for me. Its a penatraiting oil and will free the rings from the piston allowing them to reseat to the cylender walls but you should change the oil after a couple hours of running it through. In the gas it will help to lube and recondition valve guides and will smoke a little through that tank of fuel and when you fill up again you should notice that there is no more smoke.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Recondition valve guides with a liquid???????? Interesting concept. A liquid in a can does not recondition valve guides. If they need reconditioning it is a mechanical process requiring disassembly of the engine and having head work done. Lubricate yes. Recondition no!

joebob14

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe recondition is the wrong word but it is a penitrating oil that will help remove deposits from the valves and guides and therefore help them seat better.

4stroked

Recruit

All of the early model v6 hondas did not have locating pins to locate the piston rings, what happens is the rings gaps will align and let oil bypass into the combustion chaimber. to reduce the oil consumption whenever the engine is not running ensure the engine is trimmed up past the horizontal so as the engine oil will run away from the rings and not pool up against them.

All 4 strokes should be stored slightly trimmed up to avoid this.

Garry