Clutch Dogs for 1963 28 hp

armandtet

Recruit
Just wondering if anyone knows where I could buy the clutch dogs for a 1963 28hp Evinrude. Motor runs great, but slips out of forward gear.

Thanks in advance,

Armand

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: Clutch Dogs for 1963 28 hp

They are still available for the 1968 OMC 33hp motors, which use the same gearbox as your motor. I don't know for a fact that the clutch dog is the same, but it probably is. Try a BRP/OMC dealer or www.sea-way.com. The BRP price is 79.56.

???

F_R

Supreme Mariner

They are still available for the 1968 OMC 33hp motors, which use the same gearbox as your motor. I don't know for a fact that the clutch dog is the same, but it probably is. Try a BRP/OMC dealer or www.sea-way.com. The BRP price is 79.56.

???

Gearcase is similar but not the same. The 28 has the Timken Tapered pinion bearing and 305105 clutch dog, available from your local Evinrude dealer, or probably Sea-Way. List price is $65.80

The 1968 33 has 312866 clutch dog with snap shift balls. List price $79.56. Worth updating to snap shift feature, but you will have to have the prop shaft drilled. Don't attempt it yourself unless you are equipped to do it properly.

armandtet

Recruit

Thanks for the info,

While i'm changing the middle clutch dog, would it be smart to change the forward and reverse gears as well?

Does anybody have a diagram showing the lower leg from this unit. I do believe it is missing on of the thrust washers but not entirely sure?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would make sure your shift linkage isn't out of adjustment before you tear it down. These are adjustable and often times need to be re-adjusted. You'll find two clamping bolts on the shift handle. Often times, the shift rod loosens up at the bellcrank, which is under the powerhead and at the end of the shifter shaft.

Clutch dogs going out and gears being swapped is often times a wives tale. In your manual transmission cars, adjusting the clutch is a routin maintenance proceedure. Well, adjusting shift linkage on a big twin is too. Unless water intrusion has been an issue in these lower units, they seldom wear out. I've found BUNCHES of them that worked great after a minor adjustment. The only time you need to replace stuff is if you see obviouse damage to the parts. If you check the gap between the shift fork and the clutch dog, it should be okay to use, if it is under .010

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Gearcase is similar but not the same. The 28 has the Timken Tapered pinion bearing and 305105 clutch dog, available from your local Evinrude dealer, or probably Sea-Way. List price is $65.80

The 1968 33 has 312866 clutch dog with snap shift balls. List price $79.56. Worth updating to snap shift feature, but you will have to have the prop shaft drilled. Don't attempt it yourself unless you are equipped to do it properly.

Good info - thanks. I knew that the Bigtwins/Seahorses of the late fifties didn't have the ball, but didn't know that they weren't used ont he 28s, either.

???

armandtet

Recruit

Is it possible to re-machine the clutch dog and the forward gears? My brother is a machinist and has access to the shop after work. Do you think that this would be possible?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Is it possible to re-machine the clutch dog and the forward gears? My brother is a machinist and has access to the shop after work. Do you think that this would be possible?

A controversial topic. The parts are hardened and in theory when you remove material, you also remove the hard surface. What have you got to lose?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

If you did, I'd love to see pictures and find out how it went.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I might add that I have a friend that worked in a machine shop and he did the gears in his 18hp a bunch of times. Yep, they would quickly wear out and he just tore it down and did them again.