Advice

cddetelich

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Except for a two week period of time 30 years ago, I have always had either outboards or straight inboards. I am now looking at a 10 year old 21' Aquasport with a 5.0 Mercruiser I/O. Motor has under 200 hours. I am pretty sure it is raw water cooled (salt). Boat is at a dealer who sold it new and serviced it each year.
What should I look for? What questions should I ask?
Thanks for the advice.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Advice

Take it to a different dealer and have them check it out. then you have an unbias opinion on it. Or have a survey done.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Advice

On a salt water boat that is raw water cooled, I would keep looking for a boat. But if you are still interested, The exhaust risers should be pulled and the passages checked, 10 years is about max for manifolds and risers in salt water.
Pull the drive, check the bellows for water, check everything for corrosion, check the gear lube for water.
Take it on a good long test run. Check the engine oil before and after the test run.

One note, After you do the test run is whe you will have to get the manifolds checked and the drive pulled by a marine shop. I doubt any seller is going to allow every buyer to take the boat apart.