ARRGHH!! Evinrude 70 H.P.

15flats

Seaman
I have a Evinrude 70 horse powered flats, E70TLCEM.

I have had my share of problems with this boat. I had water in the fuel system, which I have resolved. I took it out to a nearby lake today, started it up, let it idle to warm up, and when i put it in gear, it stalls. Stat it back up and let it idle a few more minutes, then put it in gear, chugs a few times but starts to go, but running really rough, all most like one cylinder is not firing. Then I hammer it down and it came to life for about 3 minutes, then sluggish, no power, like the engine has all it can do to keep running.

It was rough on the lake,water kept coming over the rear where the outboard is, when I put the boat back on the trailer, and removed the plug, a LOT water came out, at first I was thinking that this could be the problem, but then I remembered it ran like this from the get go. But I guess I better keep an eye on my hull for water, never realized I had that much water in there, I would have ran the bilge.

I am going to see if I can find my inductive light and test the coils while running, I am suspecting a faulty or failing coil. What else could it be? Any suggestions? Thanks for your input!! At least my kid and I was able to spend a day on the lake together, that is what i am thankful for.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: ARRGHH!! Evinrude 70 H.P.

1989 70hp Evinrude.....

First, check compression which should be 100+ psi and evne on all cylinders. What are your readings?

Second, check ignition which should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame. Does it?

If the above two areas are as they should be, the usual problam is fouled carburetors, in which case..... remove, clean, and rebuild all of them.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I agree with Joe. It sounds like your carbs are fouled from the water issue you had. Fuel has a hard time passing through water in those jets. You could drain the carbs out first and see if that corrcts the problem, but if it doesn't, carb rebuilds may likely be in order.:cool:

15flats

Seaman

1989 70hp Evinrude.....

First, check compression which should be 100+ psi and evne on all cylinders. What are your readings?

Second, check ignition which should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame. Does it?

If the above two areas are as they should be, the usual problam is fouled carburetors, in which case..... remove, clean, and rebuild all of them.

1) boy oh boy, 60 - 63 PSI while cranking all three, this is with and without the other spark plugs in place. Possibly a head gasket? Piston rings? Stuck valve?
I.E. Cylinder#
1-60 - 63 PSI
2-60 - 63 PSI
3-60 - 63 PSI
2) All 3 have Blue Spark and jump 7/16" gap with no problem. Guess I will be tearing into the head next to see what lies inside, hopefully a blown gasket....

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

There are no valves in a 2 cycle engine, that is no valves such as 4 cycle engine would have.

The fact that the compression is even on all 3 cylinders indicates that perhaps all is well BUT the engine is cranking too slowly OR the cylinder walls and piston rings are rather dry. Spray a little premixed fuel in the cylinders, then check the compression again. It's also possible that the gauge is flawed. I strongly suspect that the compression will improve.

15flats

Seaman

OK, did that, and here they are....
Cyl 1- 110psi
cyl 2- 105psi
cyl 3- 90psi

Now what? And thank you Joe Reeves for helping me with this!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

decarb the motor, and hope #3 comes up. the spread should be no more than 10% you have a 20%+- spread. when were the carbs last cleaned, including jets removed and cleaned? last linc n sinc done? you have good spark, decent compression, could be better, which now leaves fuel delivery and synchronization to sort out.

15flats

Seaman

Rebuilt carbs one week ago, ordered kits here. Replaced main tank,fuel lines,filter and water\fuel seperator with new as well. Linc and sinc, as far as I know has never been done. Engine ran fine when I got the boat about 1 1/2 months ago, but due to 2 deaths in the family in that short span, could not take the boat out. Then 2 weeks ago I was going to take it out, but my kid filled my gas can with gas, but that can had water in it, I mixed the fuel without knowing about the water and ran the outboard, then all havoc began.....and here I am, still trying to sort the pieces.

I never had the boat on water before the water in the fuel incident, so not sure on the condition, just engaged the prop and throttled up and then back to neutral. I traded my customized motorcycle for the boat, and that was around 1 1/2 months ago.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Any time the carbs come off for cleaning you need to check the sync & link. Sounds like a good decarb will help a lot.

What spark plugs are you using?

Did you get rid of the contaminated / old fuel?

15flats

Seaman

All new fuel, all old fuel gone. Has NGK plugs, will be replacing those just so I know the condition\age of them.

How hard is it to synch the carbs?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You had to sync the carb linkage when you reinstalled the carbs. If you didn't, just follow the procedure in your manual. Not hard at all.

Get rid of the NGK plugs and get the right Champion plugs in ASAP. Some OMC motors are a little forgiving about running the wrong plugs, your motor is pretty picky about having the right plugs. Don't want to risk piston damage.

15flats

Seaman

well I never removed the set screws on the carbs for the link between the 3 carbs, just popped the linkage out. really did not disturb any settings, just stripped the carbs to remove any and all rubber\plastic\paper items that would be harmed by the parts cleaner. Placed all parts that were metal based into the basket and lowered into the parts cleaner and allowed to soak for a few hours each. Then opened new kit and replaced all parts from kit, then re-installed carbs,fuel lines,and linkage arm. There are 2 thumbscrews below the carbs, I never touched them either, after reading on here about the philips head screw on the lower unit when trying to drain the gear oil, I had to quickly run back outside to put that dreaded screw back in, I was blessed that my phillips head screw went right back in with no problems, so with that being said, I leave things I know nothing about a lone, ask questions and learn first, then do.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If you have compression (you do), spark, and fuel, the engine has to run UNLESS you've had the flywheel off and DID NOT torque the flywheel nut to 105 foot pounds. Not torquing that nut would cause the flywheel key to shear, effectively throwing the engine out of time.

If you did not blow out the engines' fuel system, that is the line from the engine to fuel pump, pump to carburetors, etc....... even though you drained water from the carburetors, as soon as you cranked the engine over with the electric starter, that remaining water was transfered to the carburetors.

A test of this would be...... spray some premix fuel into the carburetor throats so that the fuel gets to the intake reed plates (leaf valves). If the engine fires temporarily, strongly suspect the carburetors (water).

Plugs should be Champion QL77JC4 plugs, gapped at .040 or .030. Try the .040 setting first.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I agree with Joe. It sounds like your carbs are fouled from the water issue you had. Fuel has a hard time passing through water in those jets. You could drain the carbs out first and see if that corrcts the problem, but if it doesn't, carb rebuilds may likely be in order.:cool:

There you have it. WATER:D:D Contamination is a re-occuring problem, until EVERYTHING is thouroghly cleaned out.

15flats

Seaman

wow, 7:50pm and just got home from work, picked up Seafoam, but is dark and rainy out, will try tomorrow and tell ya how it went.

15flats

Seaman

OK, still rainy here in good ol Florida. But I did buy a product called Sentry gas treatment. http://www.sentrytreatments.com/) it says it will eliminate water, clean fuel system and restore power. I plan on still sea foaming the engine. The marine shop I bought my spark plugs and this treatment from said that the attwood fuel tank I bought is no good, anyone have problems from this brand?

I even asked if they could synch my carbs and how much it would cost, I was told because they have to travel so far to go to a body of water, that they were unable to troubleshoot or synch the carbs. Now wouldn't a shop be able to do this without being in the water? So I guess my question is, how hard is it to synch the carbs? And should the thumbwheels be touched? And how good is Sentry?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

To synchronize the carbs....... Make sure that the cam is not touching the carburetor cam roller.

Check the linkages between the carburetors to make sure that none are set tight whereas a throttle butterfly might be slightly open and the others closed. All must close at the same time (and open at the same time, explained below).

With the above as they should be, adjust the cam roller so that the scribe mark on the cam contacts the cam roller dead center. This is the point where the throttle butterflies should just start ro open..... not before or after.

Now, with the engine running at a low rpm, and the cam scribe mark aligned exactly dead center with the cam roller, adjust the cam so that the timing is whatever your manual states the idle timing should be. I don't have the manual in front of me and don't recall exactly what that timing setting is. I'm sure that someone here will fill that in.

15flats

Seaman

Looks like the rain may be gone for tomorrow, just chilly, I can deal with that. I have a OMC water\fuel seperator filter to install as well. Had an Attwood, but it leaked periodically and the OMC never did. I plan on using the carb cleaner to clean the connections, thumbwheels, setting screws and such of any impurities to make this as easy as possible. I will get the manual from the library tomorrow as well, and hopefully next weekend I can have a good day of fishing.

If after all this tomorrow, next weekend (or possibly Sunday after church) I go out on the water and the outboard is under load (in the water) and still seems to be choking itself out, what should I try to possibly make troubleshooting easier to determine the exact cause? Push the key in, take the cover off the engine and remove the cover to the carbs and observe, or what? I want what i do tomorrow to clear everything up, but then Murphy has his laws and he is always waiting on me around the corner.......

15flats

Seaman

OK, just seafoamed the outboard. Put it in gear and throttled high for about 10 seconds, no sputter, backed off quickly and no stall or sputter. Goes into gear easier now also. I noticed the bottom carb is the most sensitive of all three. Had a little fuel or seafoam slightly running down the back cover over the carbs, and when I wiped the fluid off on the bottom carb, the engine started to sputter immediately, I tried plugging the other two one at a time and took a few seconds to get some sputter. Is this normal? Won't be able to test in the water until tomorrow or next weekend.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and all the help so far has been a god send.

Thank you