Help identifying 70HP year

Skyjumper

Cadet
I'm having trouble identifying the year of an older Mercury 70HP outboard on my father's boat. The serial # off the transom assembly is A574123. On the serial number charts I've found online, it would lead me to believe it's a 1980-81 model. However, on the chart, those don't start with an "A", just the numbers. Am I supposed to ignore the starting letter "A" and just use the numbers? I'm seeing some serial numbers on the chart starting with "A", but those are later years and the numbers don't match up. The cowling is labeled Mercury 700. Any help would be appreciated.

RaScLeS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help identifying 70HP year

sounds like it could be late 70's

what do you think of the motor ? runs good & fast? hard on fuel? im still deciding if im keeping mine it gave me some hell

Fun Times

Staff member

:confused: The number you posted is for a MerCruiser sterndrive, Not a (Outboard engine).
Could you post a photo of your boat/Engine set up so that it might be easier to help you (ID) what you really are working with.
Also normaly on the back of the boat (Right side) there is a number stamped into the hull, Normaly the last two numbers will tell you the year of the boat.
If you type that hull number in this link it will give you some basic info about the boat for free. http://www.boathistoryreport.com/

Here is the history of the number you posted.
ENG: 0A574123 Model Number 01989016
NOT REGISTERED
Warranty Period: NONE
Product Protection Period: NONE
Manufacture Date: NONE
Date Type Dealer Information Misc. Information
04/03/1986 INVOICED
Service Literature for 1986 MERCRUISER MC1 1.98:1
SERVICE MANUAL #6 R/MR/ALPHA ONE

Skyjumper

Cadet

Well now I'm totally confused... the motor is defenitley not a sterndrive...I've got a 25' Sea Ray with a Merc Bravo I sterndrive, so I definatley know the difference :D

The motor is mounted to a 1977 Yarcraft 15' trihull. I got involved with it after they reported it was running badly. After I did a compression check, two cylinders were good, and the 3rd had zero compression. Pulled the spark plug and the piston is trashed. Haven't got around to pulling the head yet, just trying to put together a possible parts list.

As far as I can tell, the motor and transom assembly are original, so late 70's makes sense to me. I'll be heading over to their place this weekend, so I can get some photos then.

Assuming they read the serial # off to me correctly, is there any chance that there could have been a mixup at the factory? I'm thinking wrong serial # plaque got somehow affixed to this motor??? Is there any other location on the powerhead or lower unit that would have the serial stamped on it? Unfortunately I won't get a better look at until this weekend, but I had my father double and triple check the serial and he swears that is what is stamped on there.

Fun Times

Staff member

Sorry But it's the internet, So I had to ask in a nice way if you know the difference:p

Here are two links to help you find the serial numbers on both outboards and Sterndrives. On an outboard there is normaly only one place it would be and that is on the outside of the engine.
https://appcenter.mercurymarine.com/litreq/popSnLocator-ob.jsp
https://appcenter.mercurymarine.com/litreq/popSnLocator-mc.jsp

As far as the mixup at the factory? You never know anything is possible, The info I'm looking up is coming right from MerCruiser.

Is there any other numbers on the tag?

Skyjumper

Cadet

I'll be over at their place this weekend, so I'll get photos and check any and all numbers marked on it and post them here. Hopefully get down to the bottom of this...never ran into this type of problem before!

Dunaruna

Admiral

This problem crops up every now and then, there is a lot of mercury information missing from the mid 80's.

Your motor is a 3 cyl, made in the U.S, in 1985.