Bad winter cracked my block

Chris2

Cadet
Ok guys I need help, I bought a 2000 Glastron last summer and this bad freeze we just had down here in Louisiana got me, due to my job I was not home to winterize so now I have a Volvo 5.0GL that would make a good anchor. My question is can I just go buy a GM 305ci short block? From what I have been told the block and rotating assembly are the same from marine to automotive. It still runs just fine no water in the oil so I hope the heads and risers are ok. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bad winter cracked my block

From what I have been told the block and rotating assembly are the same from marine to automotive.

The block, crank, rods yes.
Cam and pistons, no.

Bondo

Staff member

My question is can I just go buy a GM 305ci short block?

Ayuh,... Buy a GM 350 Long Block, built for a Truck,+ you'll be Good to Go,+ Happier with the boat....

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rapido gone be busy as a bee's nest at this rate, poor guy from LA and his block done froze.

turn2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you run the motor in the lake or on the hose and no water is mixing in the oil, you can have the block welded. They usually crack between the freeze plugs. I have had many fixed ,some while the motor is still in the boat. Of course use a qualified welder.

Bondo

Staff member

If you run the motor in the lake or on the hose and no water is mixing in the oil, you can have the block welded. They usually crack between the freeze plugs. I have had many fixed ,some while the motor is still in the boat. Of course use a qualified welder.

Ayuh,... Ya Could try Welding,... I'd start with cleaning,+ Epoxy myself...

scipper77

Commander

My boat has the good old jb weld repair (Purchased it that way) and it has run well for me for the past 4 years.

Chris2

Cadet

Thanks for all the replies. Yea the 350 would be a lot better but I?m happy with the performance of the 305 and it?s a lot cheaper to buy a short block. On the thought of welding or JB weld I like the idea but the block is really bad, on the left side there is a 2.5" diameter hole and on the right side there is a 9" split and the block is pushed out over the split. Do you guys think that?s a weld able repair? I would hate to be left stranded on the water and I don?t won?t to worry about it every time I use the boat.

Bondo

Staff member

and it?s a lot cheaper to buy a short block.

Ayuh,... If the block is that Bad,... It's hard to believe the Heads are salvageable...

cr2k

Captain

I agree, with that kind of damage the block decks have gotta be bad and probably warped the heads.

That first link posted is a killer deal he is only getting $150 for 2 heads if you go long block.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Theres no point in doing it half @## Get a rebuilt long block,have the manifolds pressure tested and replace the impeller!:eek:

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Spend the extra 150 and get new heads with it.RapidO sends all new gaskets to swap your tins and intake over.
Did you look at the link? Same price for a 305 or 350...

Chris2

Cadet

All great ideas but unfortunately money won?t be right until mid summer (too late to get it in the shop) and I?ve got just enough spare cash to get another block and use my crank and rods and rebuild the 305, I hope the heads are ok. Also for $150 those can?t be vortec heads from Rapidos, are they?

I'll try to post pics of the damage in a week or so, thanks guys.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

If it were me, I would wait till you have the $$ to do the job properly. It's likely your heads cracked, so for $150 why take the risk? It's also very likely [99.9%] your exhaust manifolds are toast as well...

Do you really want to have to have to yank the engine out and tear it down a second time?

Bondo

Staff member

I?ve got just enough spare cash to get another block and use my crank and rods and rebuild the 305,

Dude,... By the time you buy a raw Block,.. Have it refreshed, Machined to accept the parts you've got, then assemble it with fresh throw away parts,...

You're going to spend as much as buying a Rapido motor....

It Seems that you don't fully understand the steps of replacing your Busted block...

Bronc Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't transfer the crank and rods over either. If you just want a temporary fix buy a used truck engine. Then get a rebuilt engine in the summer.

Chris2

Cadet

Again thanks for all the great advice but by letting my local mechanic do all the work (engine rebuild and remove/install) I get a better warranty on parts and labor, it's all speculation about heads and exhaust at this point but the motor still runs perfectly it just pumps a lot of water in the hull I'll find out next week and I can make the final decision on rebuild the 305 or long block 350. As it stands I'm looking at $2200 for remove, rebuild, all machine work including heads (magnaflux and 3 angle valve job) install.
The $150 heads are not vortec, what is the hp difference between non vortec 350 and vortec 305.
Thanks.

Philster

Captain

Dont worry about the HP total for Vortec. Vortec heads get you more usable power in more of the RPM band, better economy and throttle response. They make more HP, Yes... but we all get wayyyy to hung up on HP numbers.

Go Vortec.

I think it's 40+ HP.... USABLE HP.... efficient HP.... responsive HP....