Help w/ 6hp evinrude. Difficult steering

swfl mike

Seaman Apprentice
I tried searching the site and couldn't find much info. I have a '72 6hp evinrude tiller operated and it still turns but it's pretty tough. It's been used in salt water for a number of years with not much maintance. The zirc won't take grease.

I've had a few people offer suggestions but they seemed like stupid ideas that they pulled out of their ***. So I figured I'd try and get some legitimate advice and ask on here,

Thanks for any responses.

Ocean31@bellsouth.net

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Help w/ 6hp evinrude. Difficult steering

I tried searching the site and couldn't find much info. I have a '72 6hp evinrude tiller operated and it still turns but it's pretty tough. It's been used in salt water for a number of years with not much maintance. The zirc won't take grease.

I've had a few people offer suggestions but they seemed like stupid ideas that they pulled out of their ***. So I figured I'd try and get some legitimate advice and ask on here,

Thanks for any responses.

Did you check out my post and the answers about freeing up a 70hp Evinrude, it is down the thread a day or so.

Short answer I used paint thinner, compressed air, and lots of time.

Anyway some good ideas were thrown in, check out the post.

JSB

kbait

Commander

I believe that model has a steering friction adjustment bolt (flat blade screwdriver) on the front of the motor just below the transom clamp in the center. If it's cinched down, you can back it out a ways and hopefully that's all.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

There is indeed a friction adjustment #60 in THIS DIAGRAM

BUT if the bearings have not been greased properly and exercised regularly they may well have seized/corroded up. If that is the case and fresh grease cannot be injected then the only solution might be to strip the whole lot out, clean it all up and reassemble with fresh grease.

I can see the grease nipple for the lower bearing (#58) but I do not see one for the top bearing! ... there is one on later models.

swfl mike

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll have to have a look for that screw. That'd be great if it were that simple.

If it's not that simple and all other attempts at freeing it up fail, how hard is it to disassemble and clean up? I'm fairly mechanically inclined; if it is something that I can't do myself I'm just going to sell it for what it's worth

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I'm fairly mechanically inclined;
In which case its a job you can tackle. It's a fairly big job and some of the fasteners might be difficult to undo but there's no rocket science involved.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

As a long time salt water dealer mechanic, I know exactly what is wrong with it. Corrosion around the outside of the upper swivel bearing is squeezing it tight against the pivot shaft. There is only one way to fix it---take it apart and clean the crud out of the swivel bracket and re-lube everything and reassemble. If you are careful and don't break anything, no parts are normally required.

It is not nearly as hard as it appears. You will need:

1. Something heavy to clamp the motor to, such as a boat.
2. Something to lift several hundred pounds, such as an engine hoist or a couple of guys with gorilla arms.

Remove the clamshell housings from the lower motor mounts. Lock the tilt down. Lift the motor while steering it back and forth. The pivot shaft will come up and out of the swivel bracket.

Now, there is a pin holding the upper bushing from rotating. It resembles a rivet. You tap it out with a punch from the outside, toward the inside. Once that is out, notice the slit downone side of the liner/bearing. Carefully pry one side of the slit toward the inside. Once the edges overlap, the bushing can be pulled out easy. Also remove the co-pilot plate and rubber spacer.

OK, cleanup time. You will find a ton of corrosion in there where the liner was. Scrape it all out. Make sure all zerk fittings are open and will pass grease. Many motors do not have an upper zerk, or if it does, it may be a dummy one with no hole. That's fine, you are supposed to lube it from the bottom till the grease comes out the top.

Got it all cleaned up, grease everything well with waterproof marine grease and reassemble the same way you got it apart. And from now on, don't neglect it.