Size of brake line and fittings?

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Duel axel/3500#/ 12" drum/ wheel cylinders. having to replace these suckers and the zerks are frozen and the brass brake line fittings are frozen! arghhhh. Now i have to replace the 18" flexible plastic brake lines ( 2 male brass threaded fittings) what size are the fittings and size of the line? Standard wheel cylinder. I want to make sure i order the right ones. thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Size of brake line and fittings?

Ayuh,... The only way to know is to Measure 'em....

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Start soaking those fittings with PB Blaster at least once a day for several days. Then try to get them out. Use a six sided box wrench on the bleed screw. Use a five sided tube wrench on the line tube. Put a pair of vise grips over the end of wrench after it is on the tube fitting opposite the open end and clamp it tight. That will keep the wrench jaws from spreading apart off the fitting.

If either gets rounded off then use a pair of smaller, rounder jaw vise grips on them.
The worse that will happen is that the break off and then your back to replacing the wheel cylinders again.

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's my problem. i have 2- 19" flexible brake lines, male swivel fittings both ends 3/16" fittings (actually only 1 needs to swivel). You think I can find these? Been everywhere over the web, local RV shop, auto parts shop..... Found some in the States but they won't ship them up to BC, canada USPS UPS will cost me more than their worth in duties/customs charges. Can anyone help..... Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Can you find 1 in the right Size, that don't swivel,..??

The fittings on the steel line all swivel, so you should be able to get by with Non-swiveling rubber hoses...

Find a Hyd Shop in your area,... Maybe they can build 'em for ya...

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, 1 needs to swivel as it goes from the brass T black to the wheel cylinder. No hydraulic shops in my town......

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... If ya don't wanta pay the freight for the right parts,...
Reverse engineer it, using whatever local resourses you've got,...
You can go with steel from the cylinder to Ts or whatever ya gotta do to get back to the line from the master cylinder...

3/16" is a very Common brake fitting size...