"New" '57 Lark Gearcase Update w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Well, today I tore into the gearcase to see if I had a bucket of rust. I drained the gear oil that I temporarily added, and it looked rather clean. The nine screws holding the lower half easily came out...so that was a good sign too. I rapped the skeg with a rubber mallet and opened it up to see an absolutely clean gearcase. No Rust!!!! And, very little wear!!!

I found out why the LU did not shift was because the shift lever was slightly bent which caused the cradle to slip out...thus caused by the missing shift lever pin in the LU when I purchased the motor. The shift lever was only slightly chewed...but no damage to the bevel gears or anything else. I easily reformed the shift lever and reinstalled with the cradle. The LU now shifts perfectly. The shift dog also showed little wear.

While cleaning the LU I carefully removed the pinion gear to inspect...only to have all the larger barrel bearings fall out. They will never be replaced in the exact orientation unfortunately. Luckily, the entire gearcase showed little wear. The only issue is the prop shaft seal housing needs to be replaced. There was a hole eaten through the metal and would cause a problem when the seal is replaced. Hopefully, I can find one easily.

Check out the pics:

Mas

P1010007.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010017.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: "New" '57 Lark Gearcase Update w/pics

Well, it looks like your luck is continuing to give good results, especially after knowing what this motor has been through. The parts you have there all look pretty decent. I definately would go ahead and invest in a seal kit, since you have it all apart. That way, you won't have to tear it down again for at least 20 more years. Check the bearings over really good for any pitting and make sure they all spin smoothely in their assemblies. If they look as good as everything else, then you should be okay to use them. I went to vintageoutboard.com and bought the seal kit for the last big twin I rebuilt, but I would stick with OEM if you can. Lookin good Mas:D:D

I just got one of my classics running today, BTW

lindy46

Captain

Those pinion bearings are fun! I usually clean them and stick them back in place with a little grease to hold them until the gear goes back in. I assume the gear you picture is reverse? A lttle chip/wear on the clutch dog mating surface but looks pretty good. Does the forward gear look as good? Can't really tell how the clutch dog ears look from the pic. Those gears can be reversed if the forward gear shows wear.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Very nice. Looks like you got yourself a keepsake.

Am I seeing things, or are you missing one of the rollers of the roller bearing at the bottom of the driveshaft? Might have fallen out in the disassy.

Mark

Willyclay

Captain

Amazing considering how you found it stored!

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Very nice. Looks like you got yourself a keepsake.

Am I seeing things, or are you missing one of the rollers of the roller bearing at the bottom of the driveshaft? Might have fallen out in the disassy.

Mark

Yes, one did fall out...then as I tried fit it back in...then rest of them tumbled down one at a time...very frustrating, but I was finally able to reassemble. I did not have any "assembly grease" on hand, but it is on my shopping list.

I will reseal the gearcase and look for a replacement prop shaft bearing housing. There is a little wear on the forward dog clutch...but nothing to seek a replacement for. I could flip it...we'll see, it isn't any big deal. The gearcase is not perfect...but I would say at least 90% from new...and very serviceable as is.

I am just very happy that the gears are in great condition...especially since the shift lever pivot pin was missing and a steel screw was partially threaded in while the entire leg was soaking in a 55 gallon drum. I had some pretty ominous thoughts about what I would find.

Check out the "make shift" plug I received in the motor in the pic below to give you an idea of why I did not have high hopes.

Mas

P1000972.jpg

turbofn1

Recruit

just finishing up my 1957 evinrude lark long shaft outboard, I plan to post some pictures soon and offer any help requested, just ran it last tuesday and got generator up and working like a champ, she runs strong and sounds great, like a harley of the outboards!!, i have a few others of these setting around so please let me know if you could use any parts, I also found new field coils for the generator,

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The SEARCH is for REFERENCE ONLY, turbofn. Do not reply to, or hijack for your own use, old threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.