90 SeaSwirl Transom Swap ?

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Soooo I got this 1990 17ft SeaSwirl Tempo last summer, ran it all summer, and last trip of the year hit a rock, putting a fracture crack the transom where one of the top bolts, bolts too. Now the transom is flexing a fair amount... Wondering how hard of a job would this be(swap the transom), to someone who has never done transom work before... Or if decide to have a shop do it, what would be a fair price for it ? OR Anyone Local in Portland Area Wanna make a couple bucks and help me on such a daunting task ? I'm told i need to lift the top of the boat, to get to transom = sad face !

IMG_8048.jpg

IMG_8062.jpg

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 90 SeaSwirl Transom Swap ?

I did mine last yr in the garden, get an engine hoist used from craigslist and an engine stand, get the engine off and safely bolted to the stand.
Remove the alum transom guard and slit it open with an angle grinder.
Follow the video for the rest.
http://www.transomrepair.com/zk/how-to-pour-seacast-video.shtml
DIY cost me about $600, I got the hoist for $120.
Its not as hard as it looks, i used a sears elec chainsaw, it was simple.
The benefits are you don't need to pop the cap and theres no wood in the transom, it will never rot again. I'm glad I did it.

If you want to do it with wood you'll have to pop the cap off.
Less money for wood but more involved.

Nidacore is cheaper than seacast.
http://www.fiberglassics.com/howto/nida/

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I agree. Your boat is the perfect candidate for Seacast.

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

A Friend of mine has an engine hoist, and i built last year an engine stand... So your thinking that i don't have to take off the top half of the boat to get to all of the transom ?

Also, anyone in PDX Wanna make a hundo or so and help me with an effort such as this?