Need Help

sdf4647

Cadet
I bought a 77 ranger boat with trailer , Problem !! No titles ,just a piece of paper " Sold to ". I haven't been to the DMV here in Colorado, but I've heard horror stories. I guess here you cant register the trailer as home made.
I would like to have all my ducks in a row before dealing with the Dreaded DMV. Any suggestions?

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need Help

I have been in a similar situation here in FL. But short end of the story is that you need to get a title for the boat and trailer. If you do not know who is the last owner to have a title you need to go to the DMV and they can contact the "owner" for you. It takes a long time and usually does not work.

Did the person you buy the boat and trailer from have registrations?

Bifflefan

Commander

I bought a 77 ranger boat with trailer , Problem !! No titles ,just a piece of paper " Sold to ". I haven't been to the DMV here in Colorado, but I've heard horror stories. I guess here you cant register the trailer as home made.
I would like to have all my ducks in a row before dealing with the Dreaded DMV. Any suggestions?

The only way to row up your ducks is to go to the DMV and ask them what you need to do to get a title. then do it. Every state has different laws and the only ones that come close to understanding them work at the DMV. So they are the best to ask. That way you dont end up doing unnessarry things or missing something.

Arnoldsw

Cadet

Just got out of the tax offices for a new trailer here in Florida. Same boat, just new trailer. There are no titles here for trailers. Only "Certificates of origin". What the tax offices (and that is where we get plates in FL, not the DMV) really wanted was a bill of sale. My insurance company actually bought the trailer for me because my old trailer was totalled in a car accident. I did not have a bill of sale, only the insurance paperwork showing they paid for it and a "Certificate of Origin". The really needed a bill of sale to give me a plate and to register. They finally accepted the insurance paperwork showing the insurance company purchased the trailer as the bill of sale.

I suggest some srious sweet talk. It seems trailers are not titled. The chicky at the tax office told me that they wish they were titled - it would make things a lot easier.

sdf4647

Cadet

Thanks for help!!! The trailer is in great shape for being 35 yrs old.
I found a source on the internet ,The company (Trailer) was bought out . I called the new company today and left message,Hopefully they will be able to help.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I seriously doubt that the new trailer company will be willing to issue another title for the same trailer with your name on it.
There would then be two titles floating around for the same trailer.

If Colorado requires a title, you will have to go back to the previous owner(s) until you find the last title owner. Or at least the last owner to have a registration/license for the trailer.

The last title owner or the last owner to have a registration/license for the trailer will then have to produce the title and sign it over to you. If they can not find it they will have to apply for a duplicate replacement title and then sign it over to you.

bosn buddy

Cadet

I had a simular problem. I bought a boat from Mr. "A" who had "lost the title" and gave me a bill of sale. I took the bill of sale to CA DMV who told me that the boat actually belonged to Mr. "B". I then wrote to Mr. "B" and said, "I think I have your boat." and then explained how I had acquired it. Mr. "B" sent back a letter stating that he had in fact sold the boat to MR. "A". I took his letter to DMV and they then gave me a claer title to boat and trailer.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I had a simular problem. I bought a boat from Mr. "A" who had "lost the title" and gave me a bill of sale. I took the bill of sale to CA DMV who told me that the boat actually belonged to Mr. "B". I then wrote to Mr. "B" and said, "I think I have your boat." and then explained how I had acquired it. Mr. "B" sent back a letter stating that he had in fact sold the boat to MR. "A". I took his letter to DMV and they then gave me a claer title to boat and trailer.
And technically, if Mr. B wanted to, he could have sent the sheriff's deputies to reclaim his boat.

Bondo

Staff member

I bought a 77 ranger boat with trailer , Problem !! No titles ,just a piece of paper " Sold to ".

I found a source on the internet ,The company (Trailer) was bought out . I called the new company today and left message,Hopefully they will be able to help.

Ayuh,... Sorry, I gotta ask this,... Twice,... Why would you Do that,..??

Titled vechicles, without titles are nothing but Parts....

And,...Manufacturers Never issue Titles,....
States issue Titles...
Nothing to do with the Manufacturer, just the Paper Trail since it was New....

sdf4647

Cadet

I couldn't pass it up the trailer is in awesome condition,and the boat is in great shape except for the floor. Looks like a great project to rebuild all for $200.00 .
You'd be surprised how good shape it in for being 33 yrs old.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I live in NY and it is the DMV's right and duty to make things harder than you ever imagined possible. Re-registering a used boat or trailer means a minimum of 3 return trips to the DMV office.

Here, used boats with paperwork command high prices, and those without are even hard to give away.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I think Ny. is pretty Easy for trailers,...
I present a weight slip for about what the trailer weighs,+ the gal hands me a Homemade registration for about $20. depending on the weight I wanta haul...

I think boat registrations are pretty loosely handled too,.. Especially older stuff,... Pre-73...

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

In my state a trailer without the real title signed and notarized is useless.
I have 2 of them i still use but have to use the plates off my other trailer..:rolleyes:

I'm sure they will tell you right quick what you need...Good luck!
I can't stand going to the DMV here...

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

In washington with trailers with a vin you contact department of public disclosure. Normally they comeback with something the last registered owner u send a letter with release of interest form they sign notorize and send her on back to you u get title right away.

If they come back with no info or they never pick it up at the post office, you send it adreese only. Post office sends the letter back to you, you take un opened letter with inspection form and your placed on a 3 year probation before you can get a title incase original owner wants to contest it. Your the new registered owner and you get plates and stuff.

No vin take the trailer in and they will reassign a vin tag for the trailer, just got to show it was homemade or show no vin on the trailer, sometimes it may go into a 3 year deal if its like a camper or boat trailer or something unique but a home made utility trailer or something they usally dont question

sdf4647

Cadet

Well !! With alot of research I found the owner from 1977 ,currently getting new title for the boat. 'Trailer" Found all the info ,To find last owner ,currently in the hands of the dreaded DMV, I got my fingers crossed.
Things so far so good !!

sdf4647

Cadet

State by State you can find what your looking for.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a simular problem. I bought a boat from Mr. "A" who had "lost the title" and gave me a bill of sale. I took the bill of sale to CA DMV who told me that the boat actually belonged to Mr. "B".

A friend had similar situation on a jon boat. So when he went to DMV who told him that Mr "A" didn't own it, he asked for Mr "B's" name and address. Clerk said she couldn't give him that information. So what was he suppose to do if he couldn't contact Mr. "B"?

Several month later, he returned to DMV and told them that he bought a boat without a VIN number. They had him fill out a "special construction" form charged a fee to register it, issued plates and new vin number and he was good to go.
UNBELIEVABLE:(