My boat has a knock, I don't know how it happened.

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My boat has a knock, I don't know how it happened.

I wish I could be of more help in offering a "do this and everything will be fine" type of deal.

You paid for stainless valves and did not receive stainless valves. If you persue a legal complaint then you know it takes time, maybe years.

At this point I would be suspect of every part on the engine as to its' authenticity and placement on your motor including casting numbers on the heads, all viewable engine ECM computer information, the design of the exhaust system by part #s, the oiling system, to name a few.

You could spend alot of time and more $$$ to satisfy a thorough legal presentation.

Best regards

"G"

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMHO the prop, hole shot or pinging had nothing to do with the failure. Lubrication failure, dirt or improper bearing clearances had more to do with that crank failure than any other problem. I don't understand how/why SS valves would be a reason for crank failure. That's a good reason for engine ping but not crank failure.

Seems simple to me... the factory slipped one together with tight bearings OR it was still dirty when they put it together. More than likely the assembler didn't check bearing clearances and got the wrong bearings with the wrong crank. All it would take is .05 over bearings on a new crank and you will spin the bearings. That should have been noted in crank/rollover drag before and after pistons were dropped in.

If this is a new engine you have a new engine warranty to go after. I'd say relax... If you have paper work saying they sold you a new motor you're gonna be getting a new/rebuilt motor. They're deciphering who is going to "buy" the blame and put the new motor in your boat.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

If this is a new engine you have a new engine warranty to go after. I'd say relax... If you have paper work saying they sold you a new motor you're gonna be getting a new/rebuilt motor. They're deciphering who is going to "buy" the blame and put the new motor in your boat.

Are you not reading the post?

The mechanic called mercury and they seemed to want to help even though the engine was out of warranty.

Philster

Captain

Warranty is less -- WAY LESS -- relevant if the engine internals are discovered to be the wrong ones. Push the warranty aside at this point.

The case for replacement is in favor of the consumer, because he did not get what he paid for. Merc would spend more defending itself in court for a case in which the consumer stands to win anyway.

I don't know the OP, and I saw the issues about engine internals not being those that were spec for the engine, and rather than blow sunshine up anyone's you-know-what, I asked questions that helped me know more about the OP.

Good luck. Remember, don't let anybody talk about warranties being over, because the valves that are covered are sitting in a parts bin somewhere, and not in the engine (so it seems, based on evidence).

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, thanks for the input guys, I should be getting an update from my shop before the end of next week. I will let everyone know which route we take if Mercury isn't willing to help.

Thanks, Dan

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree that contamination of the engine during the build. Bad oil pump, or something assembled wrong is most likely.

I can't see it happening because of just your use.

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My boat has a knock, I don't know how it happened. UPDATE

Well, I got word from my mechanic he said that Mercury isn't willing to help. So we're going for a new block preferably a short block. I was wondering if anybody here on the forum had any suggestions as to where I could get a block from for a good deal. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Several guys on here have had good luck with Rapido marine in south FL.

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

I need to get a block that's stroked is there anywhere I can find one. I have to be able to dress the block with with the Mercruiser parts, The MPI i believe is off of the 377 6.2. Could someone enlighten me on what my options are. I looked at Rapido but they have nothing stroked.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Why not call Raul @ Rapido and ask him about a stroked SBC.......I'd be curious as to what he says........

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it was mine I would be taking Mercruiser to court. They should at least meet you halfway. Bastages.........

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

As satisfying as that my sound I'm not really interested. IF we were to take Mercruiser to court it would be a long drawn out process. I know that they were in the wrong here but taking them to court wouldn't get me on the water any faster. Maybe the worst punishment for them is to lose me as a customer. Anyways now I need this forums help on picking a block for my boat that I can dress with mercruiser parts.

Thanks, Dan

Bondo

Staff member

Anyways now I need this forums help on picking a block for my boat that I can dress with mercruiser parts.
Why not call Raul @ Rapido and ask him about a stroked SBC.......

Ayuh,... Rapido Marine motors...

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, I just talked to Rapido they said they did not have any stroker motors and I explained to him my situation. Anyways, it sounds like he wanted to dress a 350. Is that possible, I believe my engine has the 6.2MPI ECM on it. I think i'm running out of options.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

Summit Racing is worth a look. The Attorney General might help. Probably not.

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I talked to the guy at US Engines, he seemed to understand my situation, I think I may order a short block from them. What do you guys think of the warranty it seems to be very good. Is there anything that I should request.

http://usengine.us/mercruiser.html

Thanks, Daniel Ladd

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there anything you should request ? Hmm. An extra capacity oil pan. 9qts. +.