pee hole - impeller - thermostat - johnson 6

joekr111

Recruit
1996 Johnson 6. just bought 3 months ago with 23 foot ericson. i have no idea of past maintenance. for the past 3 months as soon as i started the engine, water flowed from the pee hole. Is this normal?
Today i am getting no flow - even after 5 minutes.
However there is water in the exhaust.
I checked the intake and the pee hole and there are no obstructions.
I pulled the thermostat (which looks broken) and re-seated the thermostat cover and started the engine for 30 seconds.
While there was still no water flowing from the peehole, there was both leakage from thermostat cover and there was water in the exhaust.
It seems that the engine is getting water
When i pulled the thermostat, should i have gotten water out of the peehole?
I will replace the thermostat.
Should i replace the impeller?
Is it a big job? any advice?
thanks in advance
Joe

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: pee hole - impeller - thermostat - johnson 6

The telltale is usually before the stat, that's why they always "pee" when they are cold started. If it's running cool and water is coming from the exhaust relief i'm thinking you still have a blockage, disconnect the hose and blow it out at the connector going into the powerhead.

joekr111

Recruit

i took the hose off at the engine - still no water. Ideas?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

If you can, try putting some air from a blow gun from a compressor into that fitting to try and loosen up the restriction.

joekr111

Recruit

bktheking: you were right- blew it out and it works. should i replace the impeller anyway? how often do they fail?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

It's a maintenance item. It's recommended to be changed every 2 or 3 years. And it's not hard to do on the 6.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

bktheking: you were right- blew it out and it works. should i replace the impeller anyway? how often do they fail?

Like Samo_ott said it's maintenance, dealer's around here recommend every 5 years, I guess it all depends on how much use it gets. Remember , it's the life of the engine, I'd hate to lose a motor over a $30 impeller. If you've never done it while owning the motor it would be a good idea to replace it.

outlaw241

Petty Officer 2nd Class

are you running it on muffs or in a barrel, if in a barrel the water should be above the cavataion plate a little higher than you would think to get the pump to prime